140 hp Evinrude intermitent charging

dbonner

Cadet
I own a pair of 1988 Evinrude 140 outboards. I have had problems with the charging system and tach on the starboard outboard. The voltage meter on the dash shows that I sometimes have a very high charge and sometimes less than 12 volts. The tach also works sometimes and sometimes not. I am thinking that they are related problems. I have taken it to the dealer but they were not able to find any problems,,seems when I take it there it is working and when I dock it, it works some of the time. The battery will actually go dead if I am out in the lake for the day...any advice other than just start buying parts? Thanks, Don

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 140 hp Evinrude intermitent charging

That happened to my 1987 Johnson 150 and it was the rectifier/regulator that had gone bad; the tach gets its reading from the rectifier. Check all connections that you can find to make sure none are loose/corroded before you change that pricey unit.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You are correct, the issues are related. Your motor has a water cooled regulator / rectifier. There are small holes inside the water passage that should allow air to escape from the system but if they are clogged it will trap air at the top of the water cavity and the reg / rec will overheat and quit working. The reg / rec cools in water, not air. It is possible for the reg / rec to overheat to the point the wiring will catch on fire.

It would be advisable to get the motor to a shop that is familiar with your motor and that system. Also make double sure you are using nuts on the battery connections not wing nuts.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you need to get a DVA adapter and a multi meter and you can troubleshoot your electronics...CDI Electronics has a test procedure for each part in the install sheets..get your OMC part # then look it up on the CDI site and download install sheet. a bad regulator can damage your stator also..but your symptoms are almost surely regulator.

dbonner

Cadet

That happened to my 1987 Johnson 150 and it was the rectifier/regulator that had gone bad; the tach gets its reading from the rectifier. Check all connections that you can find to make sure none are loose/corroded before you change that pricey unit.

Thanks for the advice, ordered new rectifer/regulator. Don

dbonner

Cadet

Thanks, ordered new rectifer/regulator..Don

dbonner

Cadet

Thanks for the advice...ordered rectifer..