Mercury 150 hp inline 6 - How to get into neutral without the mercontroller

bga4

Cadet
Hey guys, whats the easiest way to get it into neutral without the controller (which i do have but its in pieces), i guess i just have to keep moving the shift lever until the prop spins freely both directions?? (without making a clicking noise either)

Might be a stupid question but of the two cables (bare with me as im new to boat mechanics), which one is the shift lever - top or bottom that comes directly off the motor?

Thanks in advance for any advise offered :)

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 150 hp inline 6 - How to get into neutral without the mercontroller

Hey guys, whats the easiest way to get it into neutral without the controller (which i do have but its in pieces), i guess i just have to keep moving the shift lever until the prop spins freely both directions?? (without making a clicking noise either)

Might be a stupid question but of the two cables (bare with me as im new to boat mechanics), which one is the shift lever - top or bottom that comes directly off the motor?

Might be a stupid question? No... the only stupid one is that which is not asked.
The easiest way to get your engine into neutral is by removing the cowl and removing the shift cable. Pretty easy to do and reattach when needed too.
If you are doing so to remove the lower end, leave it in forward. If it's just to start it or whatever else, that's your best shot.

Buy yourself a manual and the money spent will be recovered many times over.

bga4

Cadet

Might be a stupid question? No... the only stupid one is that which is not asked.
The easiest way to get your engine into neutral is by removing the cowl and removing the shift cable. Pretty easy to do and reattach when needed too.
If you are doing so to remove the lower end, leave it in forward. If it's just to start it or whatever else, that's your best shot.

Buy yourself a manual and the money spent will be recovered many times over.

Thanks alot for the quick reply - much appreciated, this forum has a wealth of information.

Anyway, yip no problems should be able to remove the cable, not much to it really, also as i am just trying to get it running, im assuming it cant be started in gear? and yes i know about the neutral start switch which is meant to be housed in the controller (but as im not using mine that wont be an issue), but is there any other reason why it couldnt be started in gear?? (besides the fact the prop will be dangerously spinning)

Thanks again.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

i always pull a lower when it is neutral because neutral on the gearbox is the only position where the gear is locked in, the shift shaft turns clockwise to go into forward gear, and does not stop, it will keep on turning clockwise if you accidently hit it or something happens, then you have to fight with your lower unit trying to get it back to where it was originally. In neutral, there is very little travel either clockwise or ccw before it hits forward or reverse shift dogs and will not go further (without obvious force anyway).

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The shift slider should be in the middle of it's travel, when in neutral. If it is toward the front, the motor is likely in forward. You can push it back until it "clicks" into neutral.

bga4

Cadet

hey guys, thanks for the replies, just waiting on my new marine battery now before attempting to get her going again, as for the neutral advise, will take all that on board an im sure ill figure it out from there, cheers