2 stroke oil mixtures

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, I guess I am getting old because I recall when outboard motors used a mixture of about 16 to 1. Now we are told that we can run 50 to 1 mixtures in the same engines. I assume that the quality of the oil is better and that is why we can reduce the quantity. Am I right?
Anyone with opinions on the subject?
I have to admit that running 50:1 on old motors makes me a bit nervous. I use reasonably good oil and I add a bit extra.

Randy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 stroke oil mixtures

The outboards that really required a 16:1 mix still need a 16:1 mix, 24:1 outboards still use 24:1. The differences are usually traceable to the nature and amount of bearing surface to be lubed.

The "modern" outboards, with so-called frictionless bearings, have been around for 40 years and more. Most of them use a 50:1 mix.

Do not use subjective terms, like "OLD" or "newer" to make lubricating decisions. Use the recommendations of the people who designed and built the outboard. A 1964 JohnnyRude (except the 3HP) is a modern engine; forget nearly 50 years.

Any TC-W3 oil is good oil for non-DFI 2 stroke outboards. "Reasonably good" is a bad term to use.

How much is "a bit"?? Also a bad term to use. Running a 50:1 outboard on 24:1 will usually do no immediate harm, but the outboard will probably foul plugs more often, build up more carbon, smoke, smell and pollute more. Why do that if it is not needed?

There has been a library of argument and debate about why this and why that. Use the mix specified by the maker, the oil (usually TC-W3) and modern 87 octane unleaded regular.