Traxxis 80 transom mount

kburton66

Recruit
I was always planning on a 4 or 6 hp Merc or Nissan kicker for my Lund 1775 Classic Sport w/90 Merc 4 stroke and 45 lb bow mount. . I moved to Indiana and a lot of the lakes near me are electric only. How well would a MK Traxxis 80 transom mount work on my boat. I still get back to bigger water like Lake Erie, Detroit River, and I like to troll for Stripers on the big lakes down here.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Traxxis 80 transom mount

I have a 70# Vector on my 18' Crestliner with a 140HP Mercruiser and the TM works good if going with the current or with the wind, sucks at going against the current or against the wind. You have less boat, probably by 600# and will have an extra 10# of thrust, so it would work OK for trolling or moving slow, but it's not going to set any speed records. If you are going to use it for trolling. it would work well. If you are going to use it as a replacement for your outboard, I don't think it would work well.

I probably get 5-6 hours of trolling out of 2 group 29 batteries. If the wind is ripping, the battery run time goes up as the boat is being pushed by wind and waves. It moves the boat around 2MPH (maybe 2.5) going full thrust, at 1/2 thrust around 1+MPH. I've run 10 miles on a charge, but had the wind helping.

One bad thing about a transom mount on a big boat, the batteries will run down relatively quick, then need recharging. With an outboard you won't be able to recharge them, not enough output from the outboard. I can do it with my I/O, but I have a 100 amp alternator.