Vibration while turning

zukimud1

Cadet
I have a 1974 Sea Ray with a pre-alpha outdrive. Recently I replaced the gimble bearing and installed brand new u-joints and bellows. Is it normal to have a vibration while turning hard left or right? I thought this might be just due to the angle on the u-joints, but just wanted to make sure.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Vibration while turning

Did you Realign it ???????

Trent

Captain

Vibration is from u-joints...Turning left or right! As was said. Did you check your alignment?

zukimud1

Cadet

I used an alignment tool when installing the bearing. I also made sure that they were greased very well. I guess from your responses that there is a problem. What do you think might have caused it? Like I said, these are all brand new parts, and I have only had it out 2 times simce all the repairs.

Bondo

Staff member

Is there Any Chance one of the u-joint caps didn't quite get Seated ??????<br />Hows the Prop Look ?????<br />Did it Vibrate Before ????<br />Is the Prop Shaft Bent ?????

nickwilson

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I'm no outdrive guru, but the boat I owned for 4 years (just sold it) had the same outdrive as you (1976 glastron). My boat did the same thing in hard turns, wheel hard right/left. Not a severe vibration, but noticeable. It's just the u-joints being u-joints. I'm not saying for sure that there's nothing wrong with your setup, but I've been told by 2 different marine mechanics that a little vibration in this circumstance is normal.

flashback

Captain

what about the coupler/shaft union? could they be worn to the point where they vibrate? just a thought......

zukimud1

Cadet

I guess I'm going to have to take this thing apart again and check it all out. I have to admit, I really hope that nickwilson is right. Thanks for all the replies.