small boat tabs

matmar6974

Cadet
I have a small tri-hull -like boston whaler- boat 8,5ft and 100 pounds weight(boat only). I'm 220 pounds and the motor is 50 pounds(tohatsu 5hp 4stroke) .If i add some tabs (homemade or smarttabs) will i have smoother flotation or other gain?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: small boat tabs

Welcome to iboats. Yasu :)

The only thing you will gain is a lighter bank account. There will be no gain in flotation whatsoever. Only 8 1/2 feet with a 5 hp will not do anything special regardless of what you want to bolt on.

matmar6974

Cadet

yasou bob.Thanks for the reply. Of caurse i do not spend money for this.Only a piece of metal and some screws. Rather I make my own.Also,i do not wait to plane or more speed,just a better floatation because i'm fat and when i seat on the stern the boat rising up.

Bondo

Staff member

Also,i do not wait to plane or more speed,just a better floatation because i'm fat and when i seat on the stern the boat rising up.

Ayuh,... You need a Bigger Boat...
Trim tabs will do absolutely Nothing to provide more Flotation...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would guess the boat does not plane with you in the stern. What you need is a tiller extension
so you can sit farther forward.If the shape of the boat will let it plane you could make 10 to 12 mph.

matmar6974

Cadet

I would guess the boat does not plane with you in the stern. What you need is a tiller extension
so you can sit farther forward.If the shape of the boat will let it plane you could make 10 to 12 mph.

yes.I thing this work better.