2000 Dodge Durango-Chirping noise at idle and when accelerating

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello Fellow IBoaters,
I have a question concerning my 2000 Dodge Durango, 5.2 liter, V-8 engine, SLT. I worked on the Durango this past weekend and replaced the idler pulley, tensioner pulley(Not the complete tensioner assembly), the water pump yesterday and the others mentioned on Saturday. In the past last year I replaced the Power steering pump, the A.C. compressor. I thought I found the problem with the water pump because it sounded like it was making noise with the serpentine belt removed and turning the pulley by hand and it had some end play at the end of the shaft with some noise when moved. Anyway, the tensioner assembly seems fine to me but I am not 100% sure either. What do you think my slight chirping noise could be it isn't too bad but just enough to bother me somewhat. Thanks for your help. Bob:confused:

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 Dodge Durango-Chirping noise at idle and when accelerating

Possible alternator?

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Is it possible that you got oil/grease on the belt? A little lube on the belt could cause it to slip when it hits a pulley with resistance.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Being a used car dealer I have found this is a common Durango problem. Replace the entire tensioner and the serpentine belt even if it looks good. I think it will make the little birdie go away.

NYBo

Admiral

I'm with Deck Swabber.

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 2001 Ram with a v-8 had the same chirp. I changed the motor mounts and the chirp went away. It is very possible that the durango with a v-8 has the same mounts. My wife had a 2001 durango R/T 5.9. i love that style durango. just my opinion.

Big Bubba

Re: ////UPDATE/////2000 Dodge Durango-Chirping noise at idle and when accelerating

Re: ////UPDATE/////2000 Dodge Durango-Chirping noise at idle and when accelerating

//////UPDATE///////
well since I last talked on this thread, I got some bad news yestersday on my 2000 Dodge Durango, 5.2Liter, 318 V-8 motor. My wife was driving it home from work yesterday and it quit running going down interstate 85 heading to Asheville North Carolina. After looking at it it broke something internal inside the engine becuase it runs like crap and knocks like crazy. now, i am going to have to pay $1,650.00 to get it rebuilt but the guy rebuilding it specializes in engine rebuilds and says he will modify the oil pump and redo the intake ports causing sludge buildup and ensures that the sludge build up will never occur again.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

The guy quoted you a price without pulling it apart first?... that's scarey!

Big Bubba

Yeap, the engine builder is going to tear the engine apart and rebuild it from top to bottom and do all the machine work boring it out, honing the cylinders out, replacing everything. It will be a brand new engine when I get it back. I have to pull it out of the vehicle and take it to him for him to do all the work on it. He said it will be better than a reman engine.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

On a 11 year old engine, he's going to have to do more than hone the cylinders. If your comfortable with your builder, then great. But keep in mind a Jasper engine won't cost but $1800-2000 and will have a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

But keep in mind a Jasper engine won't cost but $1800-2000 and will have a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty.

Yes but that's just for the engine. I put a Jasper in my truck and had over $3k into it when all was said and done. I think the price Bubba was quoted actually seem way low. If the guy will warrant is for any decent length of time it sounds like a great deal.

Big Bubba

642MX and Ezmobee,
Well I have decided to buy a crate motor with Autozone. I called around and Auto Zone has a Great!! sale going on with there motors including 5 quarts of Valvoline oil and a Fram oil filter for free. The motors come with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and there made by Performance. It is $1,609.00 and I will at least get a 10% discount being retired military maybe more depending on the engine manufacture has to offer so with 10% discount I figure $1449.00 for it.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Bubba... Autozone has a nice warranty on starters and alternators, but I wouldn't use either of them. I'm not trying to be mean, but you get what you pay for. If you don't mind R&Ring the engine a few times, go with an AZ engine... but if you want to replace it, shut the hood and forget about it, get a Jasper. :)