Help finding information on my motor

Stormfront62

Recruit
Hi All,

I am new to this site, well as a member, I have been combing the posts hoping to find something but no luck.

I have a 19?? Johnson 65hp Powershift II

Any of the sites I look at have general manuals but every search I have tried for this motor comes up empty. It is like I have the prototype and no other exsists.

I know this isnt true but I am really trying to find information so I can gap the plugs, set the timing and keep up the general maintenance.

The motor runs great and pushes my 1966 Grew great for my needs, the problem I am having is when I start it, it races for a min or so, then as soon as I put it in neutral it will stall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brent

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help finding information on my motor

We will need a model number or serial number to help you with the year. It will be posted on a 1x2 tag on the stern bracket or on a quarter sized welch plug on the block. We should start there.

Stormfront62

Recruit

I will get that infomation later tonight.

Thanks for the quick reponce.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Remove the motor cover and look at the large round rubber connector that fastens the boat wiring harness to the engine harness. If it is red, your motor is a 1973 - if black, it is a 1972. A model number would confirm the year.

the only other 65hp was a dark green 1968 V4 and that had a traditional mechanical shift.

Stormfront62

Recruit

Sorry about the delay but work tends to get in the way, will have to work on a cure for that..smiles

The Model number is 65ESL73R
The Serial number is C25382

I have not had a chance to remove the cover as of yet to check the wiring harness.

Thanks again in advance for your help.
Brent

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That model number makes it a 1973, Brent. The model number should also get you an OEM Manual reprint at www.outboardbooks.com.

Stormfront62

Recruit

Thanks for the link. I had been there before but couldnt find anything. Even this time when I did the first search it came up empty but after some digging I found 4 different books I could get, 2 I will be ordering.

Now hopefully I can get it tuned up for spring.

Thanks for your help
Brent.

Stormfront62

Recruit

So now that I have the manual issue cured, again thanks. My question would be, what would cause the motor to stall in neutrual after warmed up or after cold start. It has no problems when WOT or a low throttle in gear? I am hoping plugs, wires and a tune up will do the trick, but curious if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks
Brent