Cleaning a Flame Arrester

c.fish

Cadet
It looks dirty, how does one go about cleaning them.<br />Are they cleaned or replaced like a air filter?<br />Thanks!

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Cleaning a Flame Arrester

Just spray carb cleaner though it and let it dry. The ones Ive seen are metal mesh and they clean right up. If it isnt real Greasy, you can sneek it into your wifes dish washer, that works too, but your dishes will smell like gas.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I loaded mine up with carb cleaner and then hit it with the hose, good as new. No need to replace.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, If it's really dirty soak it in carb and parts cleaner or any good degreasing solvent. If you use water to clean it, make sure you dry it thoroughly either in the sun or with compressed air before reinstalling. Otherwise any water left in it will get ingested by the engine!

doman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i usually use break cleaner for cleaning my carbs ...it dries fast and doesnt leave the residue like a carb clener ..works great for me <br /><br />Dom

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Ditto doman on the brake cleaner.I usually lay it in my garbage pail on top of some garbage or brush and spray away.This way the dirty brake cleaner gets absorbed into the garbage or brush.Make sure you spray from both sides or inside and out.Charlie

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know if you've checked the price of a new one yet but believe me....cleaning is the way to go unless yours is damaged.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

C.Fish,<br />If you are good mates with an engine shop get them to drop it into the 'acid bath' to clean it.<br />That way you will get all the hard gunk off no fuss.<br /><br />Peter

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I clean mine with Simple Green and a bit of water with Dawn dishsoap, I spray it with green let it sit for a minute or two, then dunk in bucket of warm water/ dishsoap solution, rinse and dry.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

I use simple green automotive degreaser. Cheap by the gallon at autozone. Let it soak. Rinse with water. Blow and air dry.

mmadlener

Cadet

Amen to Northern Eclipse and garycinn!!<br /><br />Simple Green makes is shine like new and without the toxins!!

Stings

Seaman Apprentice

dish soap has always worked for me. soak it and dry it in the sun

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take mine off, tie it to a 30 ft rope,throw it off the stern while doing 70.............it comes really,really clean..........lol, just funn'in, really, the simple green works great....Jimbo