looking for correct 4.3 gl pefs motor mounts

now151

Seaman Apprentice
hi, i am going to replace my front and rear motor mounts on a volvo penta 4.3 GL PEFS. my question is i saw some mounts on ebay that i want to buy. does anyone know if or which one of these parts # that i have is correct. the parts # are 3857441 and 3857439 ?
thanks for help

now151

Seaman Apprentice
Re: looking for correct 4.3 gl pefs motor mounts

hi, i am going to replace my front and rear motor mounts on a volvo penta 4.3 GL PEFS. my question is i saw some mounts on ebay that i want to buy. does anyone know if or which one of these parts # that i have is correct. the parts # are 3857441 and 3857439 ?
thanks for help

My outdrive is an sx

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My Volvo GS has sidemounts, did you contact Volvo Tech Support ?

now151

Seaman Apprentice

hi, i looked up marinepartsexpress but all that i see is each part number lised seperately. that is why i'm not sure on a complete parts # for purchasing the whole set of parts # together in a set . thanks

now151

Seaman Apprentice

i've talked with several volvo penta dealers they say the rear motor mount set # 3857441 is a good parts number but i just can't find the answer i'm looking for, that is if its the right motor mount set for a 4.3 gl pefs volvo penta with sx-m outdrive. any help or advise.

now151

Seaman Apprentice

i'm not sure but i think my alignment problem is coming from the rear mounts . is it possible to install rear mount wrong when an engine is replaced? if so does anyone have a diagram or picture of exactly which side should be pointing up and where which washers get placed where. some washers are flat like regular flat washer, the other ones are thicker and seem to be concaved shaped. even the rubber on the mounting flange part looks like it has to placed right because one side is different than the other side .if anyone has a diagram or information or advice please help on this.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Once you get the mounts bolted onto the transom shield (no washers between the mount and the transom shield), you only have 2 large, thick flat washers and two 1/2" nyloc nuts left.
You do have to make sure the square shoulders on the motor mount studs are facing straight fore and aft, they must fit up inside the slots on the flywheel cover. Then when you set the engine in, those 2 big flat washers fit in the round indent in the flywheel cover. If they do not fit down into the indent, you will never get it aligned.

now151

Seaman Apprentice

don, thanks for the reply, i also need to know which side goes up on the metal flanges because both sides are different. one side of the metal flange has a lip appro 3/8" high, the other side only has a 1/8" high lip. maybe if i can figure out how to send a picture in the next thread it will be clear.

Don S

Look at the top 3 stickies http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • part no..jpg
    part no..jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0

now151

Seaman Apprentice

thanks don, this picture if its not to small may show you the two different sides of the mount, this is where i want to be sure which flange side goes up.

Don S

I think you have the bolt in there the wrong direction. The rounded edged of the rubber should be down.
I looked through a bunch of manuals and they all look similar to this one.

Attachments

• rear mount.jpg
    rear mount.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0

now151

Seaman Apprentice

thanks , i was confused because both mounts came just as you see it. my thought was if the side of the mount with the 3/8" metal lip was facing up that there would be less room for movement or cushioned travel. this side only has approx 3/16" of the rubber exposed. the opposite side that is rounded has approx3/8" rubber exposed. i know that when i pull the motor to install these i only want to do it once right, or right once.

Don S

If they came already assembled, then go with them that way. The manufacturers don't normally sell something put together wrong. I thought you put them together that way, and since there is nothing in the manuals on them, I was just going by drawings in the manuals and parts diagram and looking for anything to indicate direction.
Stop over thinking things. I thought you already installed them and couldn't get the alignment right.
If you install it and it's off, then look for a problem.

now151

Seaman Apprentice

don , thanks for your time and effort. last fall is when i changed my gimbal bearing and bellows. thats when i started wondering if my rear mounts were ok because i wasn't satisfied with the amount of resistance i felt with the alignment bar. the boat is ten years old. the person i bought the boat from had changed the motor right before i bought it. being somewhat skeptical, the front adjustment nuts were so seized i had to remove them and apply heat so i know they didn't do any fine tuning. so i'm going to change the rear mounts and screws and nuts on the front and go from there. thanks again.