Engine installation -- order of operations?

canadianguide

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to put a new engine in my boat..what is the order of operations for reattaching everything?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine installation -- order of operations?

The Opposite of the way you took it Apart..........

f_inscreenname

Commander

Sounds like you are a novice at this. Do yourself a favor and take pictures of your old motor (all angles) before you take it apart. Also take pix’s of all the different wires that go to motor and how they attach. Last I would use masking tape to label the wires on where they go. All it takes is installing one wire out of place or not being able to figure out how that bracket goes back on to make you have a very bad day.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

From a very high-level view, assuming it's an I/O, you would install the engine first onto the mounts in the bilge. Then you can align the engine to the gimble bearing (you need this tool). Once that's done, go ahead and install the accessories (alternator, etc) and the outdrive in any order you like. Important thing is to get the engine in and aligned first.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I would add a couple of things before installing the engine. You didn't mention what engine or boat, but here are a couple of generic suggestions:<br /><br />1. I would install the quick change hose to make your oil changes easy. It replaces the drain plug on your oil pan and goes through your transom. In fact, the transom plug is attached to it so you never lay it aside and misplace it.<br /><br />2. I would buy a can of corrosion inhibitor and spray the underside of the engine good before installing it. It's cheap insurance against corrosion.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

It's total personal preference, but I stay away from the hoses that drain the oil from the drain plug. I'm always afraid that something could happen, the hose could puncture or come loose, etc, and then you're left with at best a mess and at worst a blown engine and a tow-in, or worse yet a bilge fire fueled by 5 quarts of burning oil. It's just as easy to use a pump to drain the engine oil through the dipstick hole I think. <br /><br />Corrosion inhibitor is always a good idea.

canadianguide

Seaman Apprentice

What is the gimbal bearing? Same as pilot bearing?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

No. A pilot bearing usually goes in the crankshaft to align the transmission drive shaft. A Gimble bearing is located in the pivot housing on the transom, and it is what the driveshaft from the outdrive rides in, before entering the coupler. It 'pivots' and it must be aligned to the engine, and also the engine must be aligned to it. In other words, the bearing has to point exactly at the coupler, and the coupler has to also be exactly in line with the bearing. This is usually accomplished by adjusting the height of the forward engine mount(s).

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bondo sounds like a Clymers manual here. Reverse of how you took it out. I know he was being facetious, I'm a comedian too, just ask my mother in law. She thinks I'm a clown. <br /><br />Give a man a fish & he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish & he'll sit in a boat & drink beer all day.