G3 Riveted Jons

a_tack

Recruit
Hi. New to the forum. I am planning on buying a 1436 jon in the next month or so. I have alot of experience with boats and the jon will be for the places my 18ft Pro Craft simply wont go. Mainly for frog gigging. I have been researching jons for a while now and the manufacturer G3 keeps popping up. There is a G3 dealer close to me. How does the G3 1436 stack up against say Lowe and Alumacraft?

I am buying to replace a 1957 model Elgin Jon that my Grandpa purchase new at Sears. It has served 3 generations of my family very well. On the water every summer since 1957. She's getting retired this summer and stored in my garage.

*edit*
Im curious about the overall build quality of the G3 compared to the other boats. They are all very close as far as specs go.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: G3 Riveted Jons

You may be able to compare by weight per size and thickness of hull and ribs etc.
Also capacity may help as well.

a_tack

Recruit

Oh, I know how the specs stack up against eachother. I should have been more clear. I'm talking overall build quality and longevity.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Ya,I thought probably.There are 2 different G3 1436 the light and the LW I did notice the Alumacraft has center seat storage.

Dick Bacon

Seaman Apprentice

I won a G3 1436 in a catfish tournament in 2005. I put a Johnson 9.9 on the back and a minnkota hand control on the front. Me and my buddies put alot of hours on that boat. Alot of river fishing in northern Illinois to the bigger lakes in Wisconsin, some with ramps, some we had to drag in. I never had an issue. Not a leak. Me and my buddy together are over 500lbs, plus gas, motor, battery, gear. It always held up without a drop.