Help-- how do you get the lower unit to release from 1985 evinrude johnson 8hp????

Santa Barbara1

Recruit
Removed the three bolts on the lower unit and it wont come out. I have opened the little plate under the carb also and removed the shifter and upper pinion gear.

Does it need to be in fwd/reverse to pull out the shift shaft or ??

The motor is very clean, hardly used although it is an older year, it was stored in the garage most of its life. I am trying to replace the original impeller which works but I am afraid it will not last any longer since you are supposed to replace them every year or so. :eek:

The lower unit wiggles but is being held in by the shift shaft and/or the drive shaft it seems. Seems like one more little thing is holding it. Already tried a rubber mallet and it will not drop down. Any clues would be appreciated. The motor looks nearly new so it is not likely corrosion or binding. I do not have a manual yet for this motor.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Help-- how do you get the lower unit to release from 1985 evinrude johnson 8hp???

disconnect the shifter, either at the top or sometimes theres a small plate halfway down the leg.
Remove plate and take out the 2 bolts in the connectir block. I think yours is at the top though.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Help-- how do you get the lower unit to release from 1985 evinrude johnson 8hp???

disconnect shifter at the top, it might be located under the carb.
Or halfway down the leg inside a small access plate.