1989 88 spl evinrude

ljf

Seaman
I recently read that there are pinholes in the thermostat housing that must be open in order for
the thermostats to work. This baffles me, for how do you keep them open when the engine runs in salt water?
If the pinholes clog up again, do the thermostats become totally inoperative?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1989 88 spl evinrude

no they do not become totally inoperative. I run mine in salt water all the time..they do fine.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The late 70's crossflow valve bodies have two small pinholes in them, one for each thermostat. They provide a flow a hot water so that the stat will open. These early crossflow holes are rather small and can clog with debris over time. The later ones (like yours) should have and updated valve body, with a single, larger oval hole which will flow more water to both stats. These newer style valve bodies should not be as prone to clogging.

ljf

Seaman

The late 70's crossflow valve bodies have two small pinholes in them, one for each thermostat. They provide a flow a hot water so that the stat will open. These early crossflow holes are rather small and can clog with debris over time. The later ones (like yours) should have and updated valve body, with a single, larger oval hole which will flow more water to both stats. These newer style valve bodies should not be as prone to clogging.

Thanks for the reply.