Dash/Cuddy helm dash finish

crw1957

Seaman
The stick on finish of my dash of my 1988 Pro-Line 23 foot cuddy is peeling. It was some type of stick on black material. the area is approximately 20" front to back and 40" wide. My instruments are mounted on top of the dash and can be removed for a new finish.
Any suggestions for a new finish on this "tabletop" as that is what it is used for while underway.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Dash/Cuddy helm dash finish

We just finished reinstalling our gauges onour newly refinished dash board face plate(s). Our pontoon originally had a burl-wood finish that began to fade, chip and peel away over time. We tried to tape around the gauges and paint over it but that turned out to be a mess. We ended up taking the dash panel off (tediously removing) all the gauges and wiring. We took it to a sign shop (where they do car wraps, and he custom made a new vinyl wrap for the dash face plates. We chose the image that he put and we even had our boats name added to it for a more customized appearance. I'll try to up load pics of the project. the first photo is the original dash, you'll notice that there's a whitish line above the gauges, this is where it was peeling, fading and cracked.

1295189712.jpg

1000000230.jpg

1000000231.jpg

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I have also seen people use the fake wood from Lowes to make new dashes out of.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The image that was overlaid on the dash wrap is actually "cork" I like the texture appearance it has. Also since this wrap is adheared to with a heat-gun it wraps around the compound corners quite nicely. Then the holes were just cut out with an exacto knife. Any, and I mean, Any image can be put on wrap they just copy the image to the vinyl wrap. Cool huh?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The stick on finish of my dash of my 1988 Pro-Line 23 foot cuddy is peeling. It was some type of stick on black material. the area is approximately 20" front to back and 40" wide. My instruments are mounted on top of the dash and can be removed for a new finish.
Any suggestions for a new finish on this "tabletop" as that is what it is used for while underway.

Remove the old stuff and contact cement some Formica on it...

YD.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Just curious, approx. how much did that cost?

Speakrdude

Ensign

Proshade tree, what is the fake wood from Lowes you speak of?

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Both pieces ran $118 installed. I didn't really shop around so maybe you can find it cheaper?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Ill bet 10 bucks that Fake wood stuff is formica..

You can get formica in sooo many prints its allmost crazy..Wood,Marble and somethings that you cant even identify lol.

Goto your local lowes or HD ( or anywere they sell formica ) and look not only what they have ON hand but they have little swatches (samples) of what they can get :) .

YD.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

$118.00 looks like a good price figuring that's installed. I would have guessed much more.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would think the formica stuff would not fare well in the sun and weather. It's not weather proof. As for the vinyl car wrap material... it's make for automobiles' exterior which can withstand weather conditions and also the reason why I went this was instead.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Lowes has a vinyl type facing you can stick to cheap wood to make it look like finished oak or cherry. It is like a contact paper. Most old car guys will use it on their dashes rather than buying new.