corsa silent choice

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
On a 350 v-8 mercruiser do you have to pull the engine to install the silent choice? right now it's all stock exhaust.
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: corsa silent choice

Ayuh,... It's hard to say, can't see yer boat...
Generally speakin',... No...

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Just so you know, there's no significant speed or power gain with thru-hull exhaust. It's strictly a "wow" factor. The prop is very efficient at drawing exhaust from the engine at speed.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just so you know, there's no significant speed or power gain with thru-hull exhaust. It's strictly a "wow" factor. The prop is very efficient at drawing exhaust from the engine at speed.

The manufacturer states "50 rpm" possible gain, i know to take that with a grain of salt, but on top of that someone is offering a used one to me for free and it's all part of the hobby. Corsa themselves state anything under 350 ci and you won't notice any gain. Honestly I'm a car guy and I love to hear engines, so unmuffled to me sounds good "sometimes". Even a 50 rpm gain at marine low WOT should be somewhat significant.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I added the word "significant" because, yes, there is a very slight increase in rpm for a given throttle position. On my slightly "hopped up" 5.7, (alum hi rise intake, 1.6:1 roller rockers, double wall ss headers and switchable thru-hull) I do see the tach go up very slightly when I switch open the pipes at 3500 rpm, to maybe 3550, even touching 3600. The gps will waver around 40-42 mph, depending on water condition, but no visible rise.

But "car guy" says it all, go for it!

GLENN M

Petty Officer 1st Class

what does 50 rpm gain at low wide open throttle mean? boat or car still makes no sense.if you mean 50 foot pounds more tourque or 50 more hp i think someone if exagerating bye about 75%.not worth the trouble.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

what does 50 rpm gain at low wide open throttle mean? boat or car still makes no sense.

Low WOT means the marine engine has a lower WOT RPM (4600-4800) than a car (5500+).

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

RPM = Revolutions-per-minute Should have an RPM gauge in your boat, if not get one!

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

If you do the install be sure to put up pictures, I'd love to see progress and hear it! If it's free and you love the sound, it's a no brainer!! (If you're like me lol)

NHGuy

Captain

I'd do it so when you want the sound it's there. And when you get ready to do an upgrade the exhaust is not a choke point.

shoestring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've thought about installing it but haven't yet. alot of money for noise, which i like, but alot of people say they use it for a while but end up running it closed after passengers complain. I also can't get my mind around the tuning. a carb motor would be easy enough. but an mpi, If you assume you are running perfect stoich stock and assume you get the exhaust to flow more just means a lean condition. couple that with an increased flow thru your intake manifold and it could raise your intake vacuum (map) and trick the ecm to lean it out a bit more. nothing sounds better than a healthy sounding v-8, but in small block land, you hear the boat first and it sounds like it is setting the lake on fire, then you see the boat only going 45-50 mph. sounds better on a big block. turn your computer volume up and click here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp7HsTT1nXQ