Anybody watching Barret Jackson Car auction?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Breaks my heart, many of these muscle cars I could have had in my youth for CHEAP!

Not any more...
Just saw a 65 Chevvelle Malibu SS L16 go for 145K :facepalm:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Anybody watching Barret Jackson Car auction?

Car auctions and strip clubs are off my list!!!:facepalm:

DREAM DREAM DREAM :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

70% Chebbys, 10% 'Vettes, 20% interesting cars. Boring me to death between interesting cars.

TilliamWe

Banned

First of all it's spelled B-A-R-R-E-T-T. Secondly, everytime I catch one, I get disgusted at what fools will pay for these old "muscle" cars. Like the 65 Chevelle. While a nice car, you can buy 3 cars made today that will outperform it in EVERY way, have all power accessories, A/C, and no maintenance for 100k miles. And when I say "3 cars", I mean you can buy all 3 cars COMBINED for less than the 145k!

No Thanks Barrett-Jackson auctions.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

The problem with Barrett is every Tom, **** and Harry who owns a muscle car thinks theirs must be worth $100k + too. Still watch it and enjoy looking at the cars. Although, I take a break when a Mustang shows up. I get alot of breaks.... The Corvette Catamaran was pretty cool.....

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I had to stop, I can only drool for so long but its two fold for me, I have several friends there, my facebook page looks like a car sales website not one of which I can afford to change the oil on!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

First of all it's spelled B-A-R-R-E-T-T. Secondly, everytime I catch one, I get disgusted at what fools will pay for these old "muscle" cars. Like the 65 Chevelle. While a nice car, you can buy 3 cars made today that will outperform it in EVERY way, have all power accessories, A/C, and no maintenance for 100k miles. And when I say "3 cars", I mean you can buy all 3 cars COMBINED for less than the 145k!

No Thanks Barrett-Jackson auctions.

What....you didn't correct my typo spelling of chevelle? ??

Bigprairie1

Commander

I love the classic cars but the Barret Jackson things sort of throws reality price points out of real world proportion and can skew the average perceived classic car value.
Not many classis cars are worth what that Auction brings and it shouldn't be used as any value barometer for Joe average and his '69 olds or 66' ranchero etc.
Personally, celebrity cars (Reggie Jackson, Sly Stalone, etc, etc) aren't worth the premium that shows up on the Barret Jackson stage....at least for myself.
Bubba is right tho' in that a lot of these cars (not all) have some unique options or a particular series that prices them up a bit for sure and you have to be into them to know the rarity.
As for comparing classic car prices to new car prices...thats somewhat useless and foolish. Its like comparing charity auction art (Wolves in the snow) with classic collectable art or a modern 9mm Glock to an original Colt handgun or similar with respect to value....not even close. Its not about gas mileage or ECM modules. These cars are unique and are viewed as mechanical art and from a particular era that will always hold a soft spot in peoples hearts.:)
I do love seeing these cars in pristine condition tho'....always have!! (which is why I'm a classic chevy truck fan....1 66' and 2 72's right now).
All Good
BP:):cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Gets boring between the really interesting ones.:(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

$100k for a friggin' F-150 with an Evil Kneivel stripe on it and a signature on the dash. Un-friggin'-believable. And did you guys see that travesty of a '61 Impala with swapped BMW running gear and interior? Could NOT beleive that went for what it did. Definitely some beautiful cars there though. Pretty sure I wouldn't actually drive a $100k car on the street.

TilliamWe

Banned

Perfect example, i watched one car go across, a 62 Chevy (were they Impalas?) with a 409. Black and silver. Nice car, but it sold for $65,000! Come on! $65000 for a big ole boat car that would get beat in the 1/4 mile by an '11 Impala LS that costs under 30k? No thanks, again.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I generally watch about 3 or 4 hrs of it while it's on over a three day week end I always look for my dream car that I never will be able to afford 63 split window fastback vette that body style was a work of art. But I have to agree that some of the frame off resto's going for very high 6 figure #'S is crazy and makes guyslike me and allot others wonder what were doing wrong!. They ought to do a boat & car auction for blue collar guys.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Wow, a 1970 Chevelle SS won't outperform modern cars on the drag strip? You might want to rethink that. Not many cars today can do 0-60 in 5.3 seconds.

Yes, there isn't anything special about an Impala LS (we rented one last month). But there is something special about a 69 Chevelle with all original everything. For the resto's, these restorations cost a ton of money, most people lose money on them.

Remember, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I think some of the prices I see on American Pickers are ridiculous. But, if it's worth that much to one person, it's worth that much!

TilliamWe

Banned

Remember, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I think some of the prices I see on American Pickers are ridiculous. But, if it's worth that much to one person, it's worth that much!

And right there is the huge FLAW in yours and Bubba's logic. Just because a couple of people are willing to pay those dollar figures does NOT make it worth that. It might be worth it to them, but they are not actually "worth" that much money. I dealt with it every day in the insurance industry.
It's the same as a guy who buys a $30,000 21' Sea Ray bowrider and then 7 years later thinks it's still worth $25,000. Maybe to him, but not to anybody else. Except the total newbie who doesn't read these forums on iboats.

JB

Well, I will give BJ this much: They don't call it a Classic Car Auction, they call it a Collector Car Auction. I would like it better if it was called The late 20th Century Muscle Car Collector Auction. Very, very few of the items sold would meet my definition of a classic car.

What a collector pays for a rare or sought after item is what it is worth at that moment. In the BJ Auction environment egos contribute a lot, but many of those high bux cars come back a few years later and sell for even more.

If you are not a collector with deep pockets you might as well complain about the price of diamonds. They are just a lump of coal that stuck with it, anyway.

TilliamWe

Banned

I...
There is a simple test for worth though. In ten years put that 2001 Impala on the auction block and that 69 Impala and see what selling price is.

It will be worth more than a 69 Impala was worth in 1979, I know that for sure.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I watch it too. Get a real kick out of the prices, but I like seeing that these cars are still being preserved. I also like watching the "other" auction where the cars are not so collectible and not so expensive. I often die seeing a nice classic that is far from cherry, but that could be used as a daily driver going for less than a 3 year old economy sedan. I would like to roll around in a 65 chevy or 55 chevy every day, or how about a Cougar? I don't care if the numbers don't match, if the sheet metal is not perfectly straight, if the rear is not correct, been painted 5 times over, or if its actually running a 305 and TBI out of 95 Impalla. That just makes it all that more reliable and drivable!

TilliamWe

Banned

... I would like to roll around in a 65 chevy or 55 chevy every day, or how about a Cougar? ... That just makes it all that more reliable and drivable!

And there is where I completely differ. I couldn't live with such a vehicle that doesn't ride, handle, steer, or just plain operate as well as a modern car. Add in the unreliable factor, and no thanks, again.

JB

TW: They don't buy them to drive. They buy history and rarity.

Bubba: I think I saw one or two cars that I would call classics. There was a Lincoln Continental (MK 1) and there must have been at least one more classic. The rest were collectibles, Detroit muscle and hot rods.

I am a big fan of Classic cars. Check out the collections of Ralph Lauren and Jay Leno. Those are real classics. Leno's collection includes some special collectibles, but also includes the best and biggest collection of Deusenbergs (sp?) in the world.