new water pump not working please help

littletex

Cadet
Hi all i posted a month or so back about my 7.5 hp evinrude not pull starting. i got that all fixed and when it runs there is no water spray out of the exhaust . there is a new water pump and impeller in this motor . any suggestions. thank you all.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: new water pump not working please help

make sure your water tube lined up in the water pump..also check for clogs in engine block..and t-stats

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Also, make sure you have the water level higher than the pump almost to the exhaust relief outlets, pump can't work if not under water because its not self-priming.

littletex

Cadet

ok i have it all apart again right now im gonna check for clogs and make sure the water tube is lined up and put it back together. it also smoked alot could that be because there was no water. or also maybe the carb ajustments.

littletex

Cadet

ok so what i found is everything is free of clogs and the water tube is lined up. the only thing i did see was the impeller had two of the fins that were tearing a little like it might be too big.

levi_tsk

Ensign

what is the year model of this thing?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

ok so what i found is everything is free of clogs and the water tube is lined up. the only thing i did see was the impeller had two of the fins that were tearing a little like it might be too big.

Thee impeller should not be 'tearing a little' ... I trust you replaced it. BTW, what impeller did you use?

littletex

Cadet

I went to the marine dealer today and they gave me another impeller same exact one.it still won't pump water out

SparkieBoat

Captain

did you put the little plastic wedge in right?? and is it the right sized wedge? once I got a new impeller with a undersized wedge, so it could be that also..what way are you turning your drive shaft when you push the pump housing over the impeller??

littletex

Cadet

My impeller didn't come with any wedge.I am spinning the drive shaft clockwise

outdoorsman10

Seaman

Does the impeller spin on the shaft? It shouldn't. There needs to be a pin/key to keep the impeller turning with the shaft.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You haven't answered the question: How deep is it in the water? And is it a Sierra impeller? They made or are making a bunch of oversize ones. I got one myself. Too thick.

littletex

Cadet

The motor is in a 50 gallon drum the water is about two inches below the exhaust cover. I don't know the brand the guy just brought it out to me.

SparkieBoat

Captain

only thing I can figure is that you have a clog somewhere.. does your motor have a tell tale line? if it does maybe you could hook a water hose up to it and back flush..or flush through the t-stat hole..if that does not do it you may have to pull the head cover..then the next place to check is the tube from the pump to the power head...I am not real familiar with the old motors like that but these are normal places to look for clogs. you can test the pump by removing the foot, connecting a tube in the pump housing then put it in a barrel and hand turn the drive shaft clock wise..you will not get much water but if you get some water it means that your pump is ok..I am really curious why you have impeller fins tearing, should not do that. also hook hose up to tube and see if you get good water flow through block.