Rooster Tail?

Yamaha Speed

Seaman Apprentice
Hi iBoat, I was wondering if it was possible for me to adjust anything on my boat so it will have a roster tail? I think it is a 25hp or 35hp I wil get pics of engine today because i will be out fishing. Please give me any input you have. I want my boat to have a rooster tail they are sexy<3. lol

Thanks for the HELP!

Turner

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rooster Tail?

A true rooster tail is created by boats and motors especially designed for what is callerd surface drive. The prop is especially designed so it actually breaks the surface of the water the the blade throws water back creating both thrust and the tail.This drive puts very little in the water and lets the motor rev freely.Not really practical or possible for every day use of a small boat and motor.We can help you get the most out of your boat and motor.

rickryder

Commander

I say just leave well enough alone... Kind of like I tell the kids when they want to put in a lift kit and 33'' tires on the truck...of course they yet don't understand Newtons laws of motion "For ever action there is an opposite reaction"......So they install the lift kit, huge tire and go 4 wheelin..... only to blow up the rear differential because it can't handle the stress of the big tires......Expensive lesson to learn!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A jet drive for your motor would reduce the power by about 30% they are not really intended to create a rooster tail. more for shallow running.There are very powerful high speed bosts that are jet drive again not intended to create a rooster tail.
If you would like to try to improve the performance of your boat we need a detailed description of the boat,approximate weight, typical load,prop size usually on the hub or under the prop nut. _ _ X _ _ (diameter X pitch)brand and hp of the motor.Your present max rpm and speed.A tinytach is reasonable and easy to install.The antivent plate(just above the prop) should be about even with the bottom of the boat some end up about an inch above the bottom.
Just raising the motor can net a couple of mph. in the extreme.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I used beanie weenies more propellant than soup.:D:D:D:facepalm::eek:

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Go to Home Depot.
Buy a PVC conduit sweep elbow.
Mount one leg to the bottom of hull under the transom with the other leg pointing up behind the transom.
Go fast.
Walla, rooster tail.

Here's a link to a page where you can see rooster tails

http://rickclinephotography.com/DragBoatPhotos.htm

As already mentioned they're a result of the prop piercing the surface of the water. Usually reserved for fast boats with a good bit of horsepower. My Checkmate with a 200 Johnson throws a rooster tail because I've got the engine raised up with a jack plate for better performance AND I HAVE A WATER PRESSURE GAUGE SO I DON'T FRY THE ENGINE. Don't just blindly raise the engine or bad things will happen to your wallet.

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought iboats sell the "campell" soup can kit. I heard they can't keep it on the shelves!