Drive shafts that dont give up!

Badboard

Recruit
Hi everyone
I not a typing fan.1973 Johnson 40hp.Replaced the head.Decarboned.When I dropped the lower unit for the impeler driveshaft came out of the lower unit.Took the powerhead off with driveshaft still in.Turned it upside down.PbBlaster,CRC,Penitrating oil,even tried NAVAL JELLY.Bang tapped pulled-Nothing worked.Putting it back together.File the slot for the water pump.I wanted to change the long shaft to a short for my sons Boston Whaler.Payed $250 for motor@ found New head on ebay cheap.Any Thought's. Cant use long shaft.
Badboard

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Drive shafts that dont give up!

get a used shaft..sounds like your pinion nut came off..or stripped threads..either way cant be good for the gears in there. You should be able to attach a slide hammer to the shaft somehow and get it out maybe. not sure which shaft is stuck, the one in the junk motor or the good one??

Badboard

Recruit

Hey SparkieBoat
Driveshaft is stuck in crankshaft.Oring was left off for who no's how long.I hessitate on the removal now because of possably causing spline damage.I have tryed slide hammer on shaft with vice grips.How much force can be done without more damage.Its a salt water engine.

SparkieBoat

Captain

is the drive shaft in the engine you want to use?? if so you need to get it out and then pull power head and clean crank connection good. even if you have to ruin the drive shaft. if the drive shaft is stuck in your parts motor then just leave it and buy a good used one. most out board shops should have one laying around for maybe $50.