Recommended RPM

tsr6500

Cadet
Hi guys and gals,<br />I have a 1986 Bayliner Contessa, that I usually run around 3500 RPMs. The recommended manufacturer use is around 5 or 6000. The engine has good compressions on all 8 cyl, and no other problems that I know of. <br /><br />What would you recommend for such an old engine, as far as RPM is concerned? Is it bad for the engine to run it at less than what the manufacturer recommended, or does it increase the life of the engine?<br />Thank you much.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Recommended RPM

The 5 or 6000 RPM is probably the maximum speed the manufacturer recommends.<br />We ski behind Chevy and Ford V-8's at about 2500 to 3500 regularly and have done it with a couple of boats. one for 18 years, one for 11 with no apparent problems.<br /><br />Charles

Bondo

Staff member

The recommended manufacturer use is around 5 or 6000.
I Don't Think So..............<br /><br />I'd Sooner Think the Manufacturer's Recommended Maximum WOT, RPMs would be around 4600/4800RPMs.............<br /><br />Normal Operating Range Should be in the 3200/3600RPMs..........<br />Most boats are pretty Efficent in this range.....<br /><br />The Engine Should be able to reach the Max. WOT RPMs......<br />But Not run there......<br /><br />That's Why you have an Old engine......<br />Just keep doing what you've Been Doing.......... ;)

tsr6500

Cadet

Thanks guys,<br />I'd rather stay on the conservative side; I don't go very fast with it, but it takes me where I want to go.<br />Thank you for the answers.