bent shaft?

guajiro0192

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me if this shifter shaft is bent? It is off my 1975 25hp Evinrude. It is popping out of gear. I did take the lower unit apart. The forward gear does show signs of some wear where the clutch dog engages. I attached some pics of the rod and forward gear. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• shift rod2.jpg
    shift rod2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
  • forward1.jpg
    forward1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0
  • shift rod1.jpg
    shift rod1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
  • forward2.jpg
    forward2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: bent shaft?

Picture is not in focus, but gear recess looks to be rounded. You're likely in for a new fwd gear and clutch dog. The shift shaft probably has nothing to do with this, unless it wasn't correctly adjusted for length.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It looks bent to me,I have one in my garage apart I'll compare,Your pics are blurry.It does look like a rounded engaugement point BUT>> post a clear pic and let us see better.Theres a fine point of being rounded and working but so close to disengauging,When its so close it may as well be replaced rather than having it go out when you most want it. I also think you can turn the clutch dog around and have it engauge with the best side but the forward and reverse cant be helped.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Gear is toast. Clutch dog probably is too. Sorry, I don't know the answer to the rod question.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It looks like the dogs inside the gear are shot which is causing it to jump out of gear.

You might maybe get by with just a new clutch dog but it may not work for long, best to get the gear and dog.

Look around on Ebay, you may be able to find an entire lower or at least the parts you need.

guajiro0192

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. THe pics are blurry due to the High caffine levels taken in. I will take some better ones.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Pictures won't cure that worn out gear. Putting a new dog in it will be a total waste of money if you don't replace the gear also.