Deck Joint Sealant

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone,

As I look to see what parts I'm going to need for my flooring this spring when I start restoring my pontoon, I see Deck Joint Sealant is something I may need. I was wondering if people here think it's a necessity and a must have product, or something that is just nice to have. Also has anyone ever used it and installed it on their flooring?? If so how does it install and what's the best way to use it. Thanks everyone!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deck Joint Sealant

It is nessesary to prevent water from shooting into the seams where the plywood sheets meet on the crossmembers and to dampen possible vibration. Another use is to prevent the plywood from contacting the aluminum crossmembers and causing corrosion in certain circumstances. You just roll it out on the crossmember before you put the plywood down. Also, if you have a Heating and A/C supply house near you, you can get it there. Goes under the name of "Cork Tape"

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DIVERSITECH-Tape-2YJ69

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey everyone,

As I look to see what parts I'm going to need for my flooring this spring when I start restoring my pontoon, I see Deck Joint Sealant is something I may need. I was wondering if people here think it's a necessity and a must have product, or something that is just nice to have. Also has anyone ever used it and installed it on their flooring?? If so how does it install and what's the best way to use it. Thanks everyone!
First of all what type of flooring are you useing? If you use treated ply, a simple coat of paint on all aluminum where it makes contact with the treated is a must,to stop corrosion and it depends what type treated you'll use,Paintable silicon can be used as joint sealant,applied on both surfaces then joined.Beyond treated the only other sensible ply would be marine which shouldn't need any joint sealant.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

the boat i am redecking now had no seleant and that was miserable in the mornings with the water sprayin you in the face when it was still cool in the morning, so i think if your ever gonna use the boat when it is somewhat cool it would be a must, Have you considered tongue and groove plywood?
some good silicone on both sides of the tongue of the joint should seal it plus help prevent water fron getting in there and starting rot. (dont be araid to really put the siicone on there, another thing i am gonna do is seal both sides of the aluminuim crossmember. well good luck on your project

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would say that is optional, if you fit your wood well and use lots of bolts water shouldn't be able to come through the deck, we are talking about sealing between the sheets yes?

Remember the deck is a major structural member of the boat so don't skimp on th bolts to hold it on and you should get something between the wood and cross members, alot of treated ply doesn't play well with aluminium.

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't want wet carpet, then yes you need to use it. My new boat has it, but there were a couple spots where the water was seeping up through the seams and soaking the carpet. I just took some silicone and laid a bead along the crossmember and the plywood at each joint and it fixed it. So I can't imagine how much leakage you would have if you didn't use anything.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm just using pontoonstuff's package deal they give you with the Deck Joint Sealant sheets and the marine grade plywood. So it sounds like once I have everything stripped and I just have my crossmembers, I will lay these sheets over the crossbeams and then lay my plywood over top of that and bolt them down. So when I look under my pontoon I wont see wood, I will see these sheets correct?? Never seen that on a pontoon before, always just the wood but I haven't been around new boats much.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I think you have the wrong idea. You will see the plywood from underneath. There are no "Sheets" that go under the plywood. Only the Joint tape on the crossmembers..

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahhhh I see, I really didn't look at how wide the tape actually was, I knew there was something fishy about that. Sounds perfect, but will this tape stay for very long?? Or do you find that it commonly peels off?? OR do you only put it where the crossmembers touch the wood???

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You only put it on the crossmembers. It will stay for many years, as it's sandwiched between the plywood and crossmember..