88 Champion Celebrity restoration

Chicken Joe

Cadet
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum & to boating. Just bought an 88 Celebrity w/trailer for $100. It has a 4.3 liter I/O, the block is cracked, but no worries. I already have another motor. The floor has a few soft spots, so I am going to replace the whole thing. I have already started the tear out & found it has a foam filled hull. I have searched the forum for topics relating to the foam filled hull. All of the posts refer to the foam being water logged, but mine seems to be dry (at least right under the floor). Is it safe to assume that the foam on the bottom is dry too & the stringers are ok. Or am I just dreaming that I could get that lucky? Any way to determine if all is ok without tearing out the foam. Any input would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks Ray

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 88 Champion Celebrity restoration

The top of the foam is dry some times depending on how long it sat. Dig down to the hull near the low point if its wet you will see it. It is illegal to post without pics at I boats so wheres yours? Welcome to the madness. There are stages of denial and my transom and stringers are fine is in there somewhere. Core samples of transom and stringers are the only way to know they are not rotten. Some can tell they are as soon as the see them, they look like chewed up tobacco.My baylinner stringers were great, floor and transom were rotten as sin.

Chicken Joe

Cadet

Here are some pics of when I brought it home last week. I will submit more pics as project goes along..

Attachments

• Boat pic 6.jpg
    Boat pic 6.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat pic 3.jpg
    Boat pic 3.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat pic 2.jpg
    Boat pic 2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat pic 7.jpg
    Boat pic 7.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat pic 4.jpg
    Boat pic 4.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

You sure are going to have a fine looking ride when your done with that. It is sad that someone let that beauty sit out.

Badweed

Seaman

The floor looks decent doesn't it.....is it soft anywhere when u walk? Any cracks in the gelcoat near the engine?

Chicken Joe

Cadet

I just started doing the tear out & it looks like I'm going to need to replace most of the floor from the windshield area back to about 2 feet from the engine bay. All of the framing for the seats in bow area is rotted also. The wood backing for all of the side panels & engine cover is rooted too. Looks like it's gonna be alot of work, but I'm all about projects. I will post more pics along the way.

Seriously Ray, you are looking at a complete rebuild here. Pull the motor and drive and go to town. New stringers, transom and deck will make that a new boat. Good luck and keep us posted. Look at Friscoboater's work on his searay. That will help give you an idea of what lies ahead.

Chicken Joe

Cadet

Does this forum have a classified section? Sorry if dumb ????, but I didn't see one.

I am looking for an exhaust manifold for a 4.3l 99475oe#

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Does this forum have a classified section? Sorry if dumb ????, but I didn't see one.

I am looking for an exhaust manifold for a 4.3l 99475oe#

Not for Used parts but...
iBoats does have a forum for motors. You might try posting there and I'm sure one of the guys can lead you to a source.

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I'm just sayin...:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Real sharp boat there. Well worth the effort to fix up. Definitely in for a total rebuild though. Good luck on your project and welcome to the forum!

Chicken Joe

Cadet

I pulled the engine out & found that the block is cracked & 1 manifold is cracked also. I came across a votec v6 out of a 2000 gmc sonoma for a really good price. Any concerns with using the long block with the exception of swapping out camshafts (using the camshaft from mercruiser, because it is a much larger camshaft), the journal size is the same.

Thanks for any input.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Throw a post up in the I/O section. Lots of engine gurus there and they don't always check the resto forum.