People who Fax!

hostage

Lieutenant
This is my rant...

I have the luck of sharing a small room that is divided in two w/ a 6ft high office partition. On the large side is the copy/fax/printer and on our side is me and two other coworkers. Some people will go into the copier section send a fax and just leave. Every so often their fax won't go through and it keeps doing the annoying dialing/automated operator noise repeatedly, over and over and over again. It keeps doing this till I walk all the way around (partition is in the way) and cancel their fax. It is not like their fax was going to go through. If you are going to send a fax, at least stand there till you see the fax was successfully sent.

...End of rant

-Hostage

aspeck

Staff member
Re: People who Fax!

Someone is held hostage by the fax machine! :D Sorry, couldn't resist ... I do feel your pain. ;)

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Adjust the fax setting so it only tries three times and turn the volume down so you don't have to listen to it.

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Adjust the fax setting so it only tries three times and turn the volume down so you don't have to listen to it.

I agree with joed. Our office fax machine is adjusted this way. After three tries, it gives up and it doesn't make any noise when faxing. If you can't figure out how to adjust it, look up the owners manual on-line or call the fax machine maker and ask how to change settings. It's usually simple to do..at least it was with our machine.

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try faxing a piece of bread with peanut butter on it, that should solve your problem.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Congrat on having such a nice life that you are in an air conditioned and heated office to hear a fax machine. That would mean you have a job. Know what? I'll do it. I'll even tolerate the fax machine.

Cry me a river.

Thanks for the reality check. Prayers to ya man. I've been there and glad for what I have today.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Oh please!!! I sit on a three leg stool with the desk top PC on my lap, the monitor on top of that, the keyboard hangs by a strap around my neck and the mouse is on the floor. Quit your bitching.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

just a thought, here if we sit and wait for a fax to go through, folks inevitably walk by and mention. "what you have nothing to do but watch a fax" it is generally frowned upon here to sit and watch a machine work.

watched pot never boils.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Can't you just convert document to PDF and email?

bassman284

Commander

Oh please!!! I sit on a three leg stool with the desk top PC on my lap, the monitor on top of that, the keyboard hangs by a strap around my neck and the mouse is on the floor. Quit your bitching.

Wait a minute. You telling me you have electricity where you work? And they let you sit?

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One heck of a faxing week.

We used to have ATT. About every other month we'd have out going but no incoming. Call ATT and they'd work on it for a day or so..
This happened last week. But never fear. We've switched to Charter for all of our communication needs. Problem solved.

The carbon ran out on our fax machine but we have a built in fax on our copy machine. Yesterday and today since we've had the new service. No faxes. Called a restaurant to have them fax over a menu to test... "COMM ERR"

Turns out our wonderful Xerox doesn't support VOIP......
Had to break out our 12 year old fax machine. Thought I was rid of the piece of crap.

We're in 2011 now, and we still use fax? Really? So many companies mandate upgrades of computers, software and protocols. But they never seem to do anything about a fax machine. Convert and email.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like a subject for the next staff meeting. While some would want you to feel bad because you have a job, don't. There are more of us than them.

Wateronthebrain doesn't seem to be handling unemployment well. Maybe Mary's office could point him toward free government counseling, what with the Louisiana Purchase, and all ... :facepalm:

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Swap the fax machine with the paper shredder.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

believe it or not some companies do not have PDF capabilities and sometimes they want the "original"

I understand this. But, most commercial copiers can convert to PDF. Please note I said "most". And a fax is no more the original than a pdf. It was just a question. I work at a small (20 people) consulting engineering office and every one we deal with prefers PDF's. That includes architects, other engineers, owners, and even the State.

Again, it was just a question.

hostage

Lieutenant

BuzzStPoint: You would be surprised about faxes, most companies still list them. I guess it is an easy way to to avoid file type issues. I also work at Xerox.

I am also surprised no one quoted Officespace: "PC Load Letter"? What the <heck> does that mean?

To the trolls: I love working here and I am not complaining about that. I know I am lucky, though I think we are all allowed to rant every so often. Also would going to a funeral and going up to someone who lost a loved and saying, "At least he didn't die of starvation like people in Africa, cry me a river." At least you have a PC and most likely a boat, so you can troll on this forum. :p

-Hostage

Fly Rod

Commander

Why do that? That is a to simple of an application. :)