Whats my boat worth?

scutty83

Cadet
I am just weighing my options on what I should do with my boat. It needs a new interior but dont want to sink too much money into it. Its a 99 Crownline 180br w/ brand new 3.0L engine/manifold and sx outdrive.
At this point im about 7k deep in it and an interior is prob gonna cost at least another thousand. The boat is in good shape besides upholstery. Is this boat worth $8k? I am considering selling/trading up to a 202 but dont want to get too upside down in it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Whats my boat worth?

NADA has it listed at 5K, tops. BUT, NADA is a pretty crappy measure of what a boat will get in a particular market at a particular time of year. Check the local Craigslist and papers to get an idea of what people are asking for an equivalent boat and go from there. A couple of things: what they're asking isn't what they're getting and, you rarely get out of a boat what you have in it. It's a toy and not a real good investment.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Good luck getting even 5K in this market.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

If you think you can be happy with the boat you have for another couple of years, then by all means, do the interior repairs. The thousand you think it needs may turn into two thousand; but if that gets you another couple years worth of boating happiness, isn't it worth it? You're considering a trade up to a larger boat. I believe the boat you mentioned is only 2' longer... You really may actually have twofootitis:facepalm:. Better get that checked out. It could lead to other ailments:rolleyes: Seriously, though, you mentioned not wanting to get too upside down. In the economy these days, you will only get insulted and financially taken advantage of, trading in or selling your boat. It seems to me, that you'd be better off waiting until you can better afford the boat you really want, and for now, stick with the boat you have. It sounds to me like your not certain that the 202 is what you really want, just a little bigger than what you have.

I would take my time, do the repairs to my boat, and think long and hard about what I really want in the future (far or near) for my next boat. Hope I've helped...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if the boat has a new motor and drive....spent the extra money........btw....uph is simple......i mean really simple....take a board......cover it with vynal......simple. i just did my bayliner for under 300......and did a coustomers boat for 600.......he is really happy...made all the difference in his boat!