76 Evinrude 135 - Resistor Spark Plugs or not???

mitchum10

Cadet
Hello...

Still working on a 1976 Baha boat that I have with a 135 Evinrude on it (came with boat). have replaced all the electical and it runs great with a fresh set of the "expesive" plugs in it for about a day... let it sit for a few days and come back and one or two of the plugs is fouled and I'm down to 2 cylinders (coils, pack etc tested and are new). But at $15.00 bucks a piece for each of these plugs I can't afford $60.00 buck in plugs everytime I go for a ride.

I have been told that the problem is that the plugs with the resistors in them that I'm using are not burning hot enough and thus fouling out. Was told to replace them with these, (the non-resistor type)

NGK's - BUHW-2
http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=BUHW-2&x=55&y=16

And that will likely solve the problem of fouling plugs... ???

Thoughts???

Was also told to try Champion or experiment with other "brands" to find a version of the plug that will run hot enough to keep the plugs clean...

Any help would be great.....

Thanks,

Mitch

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 76 Evinrude 135 - Resistor Spark Plugs or not???

Deleted

Last edited:

mitchum10

Cadet

Hi... thanks for the reply...

I just had another gentleman recommend the Champion QL77JC4 plug !

The expensive plugs that kept fouling, that I had been running (the ones that cost $26.00 + VAT in Canada) were NGK "R" BUZHW-2

So now I'm not sure???

Champion UL77V or L16V Surface Gapped plugs
or
Champion QL77JC4 plug

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed..thanks again for writing...

P.S. Hard to believe plugs, even in Canada, would be more than in the UK... I can't even afford a pint in that lovely country of yours!!!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Delted

Last edited:

mitchum10

Cadet

So then, you're recommedation for my '76, 135hp Envinrude (Silver Straflite) outboard is to use the Champion UL77V or L16V Surface Gapped plugs rather than taking a chance on the QL77JC4, since they could potentially be of incorrect length?

Are either of these resistence type plugs that you recommend?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Deleted

Last edited:

mitchum10

Cadet

My apologies Vic, if you read the post I made on the second thread, I mentioned that I was sort of re-posting because I didn't feel that I had written enough correct information with the first one, so rather than continue a thread that I thought might be "titled" incorrectly, and garner the wrong information, I started a new one... I certainly meant no disrespect to your efforts, which I clearly appreciate. Actually, I was trying to think of some way of combining all the messages into a new thread, so it would just be one thread, but I thought since I'd already got two of them buggered up, I might be best to leave well enough alone!

Again, please accept my apologies... I have great appreciation for individuals like yourself who take the time to write to strangers, and offer a helping hand. I assure you, my error was one of ignorance, not intent.

Regards,

Mitchum Green

P.S. I posted this on the other thread as well...

larryhere

Seaman Apprentice

on a couple omc's, 20 years ago, 35''s and also 48 and 120 loop charged, i found the gapless or ring fire plug to foul more for me! tried 3 or 4 diff times! from repeated checking, viewing it seemed to me that because the plug has many places to fire that the split sec. where it didn't hit it would start building up until it covered the surface where the hotter spark in one place kept it clear. I bet I will get all kinds of feed back from this,, but thats what i ran in to anyway! PS my motor didn't really have any real problem,,, other than trolling for a long time, and thought i'd give them a try!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I would run the Champion L77JC4. No need for the resistor gap unless you use a lot of electronics while you're underway.

mitchum10

Cadet

I would run the Champion L77JC4. No need for the resistor gap unless you use a lot of electronics while you're underway.

I did just what the gent said about going back to the old style plugs... and the engine ran perfect all summer long last year.

I had originally replaced all the electrical components, and it turned out to be the gap-less plugs. Once they were gone, the engine ran just fine.

So from my perspective and engine, this was the cure.

Again, I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been... all the people who responded were truly great!

Thanks again,

Mitch