Portable Tank Help

JPritch

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '06 Yamaha F60. I just finished replacing all my fuel lines, filters, cleaned LP pump, cleaned VST, injector cleaning etc... I also setup a portable topside tank instead of using my below deck tank since it is full of crud and water - the source of all the problems downstream over the years.

My problem is that I can't seem to get fuel from the portable tank pumping through the system. My primer bulb is between the fuel/water separator and the outboard, how it was when I got the boat.

I can put my finger on the end of the fuel pickup in the portable tank and pump the primer bulb and feel a slight suction, but damned if it's sucking fuel up through the lines. Also, when turning the key one notch, I can hear my LP pump come on.

A few years ago while diagnosing another fuel issue, I borrowed a different portable tank that I plugged directly into my outboard, and it wouldn't suck that fuel then either. I'm using a Moeller tank, with all the appropriate Yamaha connectors.

Any ideas how to get this up and running? Thanks for all the help.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Portable Tank Help

Sounds like you spent more time 'getting around' the real issue...the dirty fuel tank!

Drain and clean the in-hull tank and be done with it.
It also sounds like you've had a bad primer bulb for a while! (or marginally working)

JPritch

Seaman Apprentice

I actually replaced the primer bulb too. As well as all the hoses from the portable tank to the f/w separator, including the f/w separator....anything fuel traveled through was replaced and/or cleaned. The amount of varnish I came across was incredible.

I might one day get to the below deck tank. Heard alot of different theories as to how the water keeps getting in there. But along with the tank cleaning, I'd have to clean or replace the lines running below deck because I know those are dirty as well.

My theory with the portable tank is easier inspections and control of gas quality, and the ability to drain it if I know the boat is gonna sit, and use that gas elsewhere.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like a good plan.
how do you have the bulb positioned when pumping?
It should be vertical not horizontal for the check valves to function better.
May need to take the line loose from the motor and pump primer until it has liquid fuel in the bulb, the check valves work better on liquid than air.

JPritch

Seaman Apprentice

Solved. It was a defective primer bulb. So much for the extra money I spent on a new Yamaha branded bulb. I was testing different things and swapped in an old Moeller type bulb I had laying in the garage and it worked first try. I did learn I'm gonna need a new battery though. Wonderful.

SparkieBoat

Captain

remember to check that the little arrow on the bulb is pointed in the right direction.