Evinrude Golden Jubilee

mitchp

Seaman
I have just purchased a MFG 14 foot boat 1975 equiped with what im told is a 1959 Evinrude 35hp Golden Jubilee OB. Want to get her spruced up and tuned up. Were to start and what to do? Where on this motor can i verify its hp rating? Shifter cable seems way to long and is missing what i would describe adjustment holddown bracket on the right side of the motor. Any and all information about getting this motor back on line would be greatly appreciated. Previous owner said the key switch would start the motor but would not stop it. Told me he used the choke to stop it. Sounds like a good way to foul your spark plugs. Please Help. Mitch. :redface:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude Golden Jubilee

The first year of the fibreglass hood. Read the top secret file at the top of this forum and check the awakening a sleeping outboard for some good info on what you should do first. Personally, I would check the compression first to see if it's worth working on. When did the previous owner say it was last run? Post some pics of the engine also if you have anything specific you want to know about it. Usually they need coils, a carb and points cleaning and an impeller to get her running well. Relatively cheap.

I have the parts manual for it if you want to send me a PM with your email address and request I can send it then you'll know your way around it a bit better.

lindy46

Captain

Should be two black wires going to the "M" terminals on the ignition switch. That is the kill circuit. When touched together, those black wires short out the points and kill the motor. If they're not connected to the "M" terminals or they are disconnected somewhere between the ignition switch and the points, the engine won't stop. Before 1957 there was no kill circuit and the recommended way to kill the motor was to choke it.

mitchp

Seaman

The first year of the fibreglass hood. Read the top secret file at the top of this forum and check the awakening a sleeping outboard for some good info on what you should do first. Personally, I would check the compression first to see if it's worth working on. When did the previous owner say it was last run? Post some pics of the engine also if you have anything specific you want to know about it. Usually they need coils, a carb and points cleaning and an impeller to get her running well. Relatively cheap.

I have the parts manual for it if you want to send me a PM with your email address and request I can send it then you'll know your way around it a bit better.

Thamks, Steve for directing me in the right direction. I looked up the info for awaking an old motor. Great place to start. Im a 2 cycle Dragbike Racer so im familer with this type of engine. Man, the motor controls on a motorcycle are so much simpiler on a motorcycle than a boat with an OB motor. Its like push pull drop twist change direction all to get the throttle to eventually get the engine to take the commands you send to it. Lots of linkages and cables. Ill get her figured out. :eek:

mitchp

Seaman

Thanks, lindy for your feedback. Is their an update on an old OB to eliminate the points and going to an electronic ign. I restore old british motorcycles where this is commen practice. Thanks Mitch

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have heard there is some sort of upgrade but the points are so simple and work so well most folks don't do it.

And as for the controls? There's only 2 cables for shifter and throttle. How much easier can it get?

levi_tsk

Ensign

no there isnt a electronic ignition conversion but like samo said they are so simple there no need to convert it just set the point gap on each set of points to .020" and away you go i have 2 of these outboards and its so easy to work on them that i wouldnt dream of complicating them with computer chips plus a 2 new sets of points and 2 new condensers are only 14 bux and who knows how much a electronic ignition conversion would cost - my advise is replace both coils and get a tune up kit for a grand total of $42.00 plus 3 or 4 dollars shipping i got a guy if you need ANY parts for your engine he gets em cheap and he'll get it to you VERY fast and his customer service is AWESOME

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Well I have heard there is a conversion kit, but I have not seen or used one... As I said, I would keep the points also. Dirt simple and still running 50 years later... It's the old KISS principal.

levi_tsk

Ensign

i too had heard about one but the guys on aomci promtly corrected me that there was no such thing - must be an urban myth or something i know they make em for cars and truck but i think the market in old outboards is too small for a company to do all the r&d and then try to put out a reasonably priced product
anything over say 30 bux would be cost prohibitive as noone would buy it ( you can buy 2 sets of points for that and they last a pretty long time )

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Wasn't the 58 Lark a fiberglass hood as well? I thought it was. But the 59 Golden Jubilee was the 50th anniversary edition motor for Evinrude. Pretty good old motors in my book. Be careful when you take the compression readings. Sometimes the compression releases need to be checked, before you take the compression test. If they're out of adjustment, then you'll get inaccurate readings.

lindy46

Captain

Wasn't the 58 Lark a fiberglass hood as well? I thought it was. But the 59 Golden Jubilee was the 50th anniversary edition motor for Evinrude. Pretty good old motors in my book. Be careful when you take the compression readings. Sometimes the compression releases need to be checked, before you take the compression test. If they're out of adjustment, then you'll get inaccurate readings.
Can't remember if it's fiberglass or aluminum - here's one I restored and sold.

Attachments

• lark2.JPG
    lark2.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Wow, that's a beauty. :D

Yea, I know the clamshell on the '58 Big Twins are aluminum, but I never actually seen those. I've seen plenty 59 and later, but it seems the 58 never crossed my path. The 58 Super Sea Horse was set up the same way as your Lark there.

lindy46

Captain

It was definitely a 1-piece hood (with the exception of the back cover/insert to get to the spark plugs) so maybe it was fiberglass.

mitchp

Seaman

Thanks shipmates. Lots of good feedback on the evinrude Golden Jubbile OB. Spent my day off poking and inspecting this motor, as well as a bit of cleanup on the old girl. Tomarrow I will install my new battery and test the electrical systems. I am an AMSOIL Man and will be useing full syn 2 cycle oil to wake this beast out of her sleep. Any convertions on oil pre mix from Dino oil to Syn? When my vintage boat hits the lake, ill be thumbing my nose at those guys with twin 150 HP motors. Vintage rides rule. Beads Beer Babes thats what im thinken. :cool:

levi_tsk

Ensign

no run 24:1 PERIOD i know alot of guys run that amzoil 50:1 but me no way too risky on a classic motor youll ruin it if you or they are wrong

mitchp

Seaman

Thanks shipmates. Lots of good feedback on the evinrude Golden Jubbile OB. Spent my day off poking and inspecting this motor, as well as a bit of cleanup on the old girl. Tomarrow I will install my new battery and test the electrical systems. I am an AMSOIL Man and will be useing full syn 2 cycle oil to wake this beast out of her sleep. Any convertions on oil pre mix from Dino oil to Syn? When my vintage boat hits the lake, ill be thumbing my nose at those guys with twin 150 HP motors. Vintage rides rule. Beads Beer Babes thats what im thinken. :cool:

mitchp

Seaman

I have heard there is some sort of upgrade but the points are so simple and work so well most folks don't do it.

And as for the controls? There's only 2 cables for shifter and throttle. How much easier can it get?

Thanks, Steve for your responce. If you have a parts manual for this vintage OB, I would like to hook up. Im new to the internet, so ill have to give you my wifes e mail address, as soon as i let her know. Ill be in touch.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

It is fine to use Synthetic outboard oil. But be sure it is labelled TWC-3 2cycle oil. TWC-3 is the standard that must be used dispite what brand you want to use. It should be clearly labelled.

Do not decrease the fuel to oil ratio for your motor!! Despite what some may tell you!!! Keeping your fuel oil ratio per manufactors recommendation will protect your motor and promote longevity!! Today's TWC-3 2cycle oils are superior to the oils manufactored at the time your motor was born, but please don't thin it out to 50:1 (It may last for a while and no troubles then one day at high cruising speeds that thing will seize up on you and the powerhead will be aluminum scrap!!)

The corrrect fuel to oil ratio is 24:1

5.3 ounces of TWC-3 2cycle oil to 1 gallon of regular 87 octane gas

or

32 ounces of TWC-3 2cycle oil to 6 gallons of regular 87 octane gas

Good luck and I hope she gives you a good ride!!!

Here is a link to a parts diagram for your motor!!

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1959&hp=35

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, 1 quart to a 6 gallon tank was a simple way to mix 24:1. The smaller motors that came with the 4 gallon tank, typically ran at 16:1 and they still took a full quart.

mitchp

Seaman

no there isnt a electronic ignition conversion but like samo said they are so simple there no need to convert it just set the point gap on each set of points to .020" and away you go i have 2 of these outboards and its so easy to work on them that i wouldnt dream of complicating them with computer chips plus a 2 new sets of points and 2 new condensers are only 14 bux and who knows how much a electronic ignition conversion would cost - my advise is replace both coils and get a tune up kit for a grand total of $42.00 plus 3 or 4 dollars shipping i got a guy if you need ANY parts for your engine he gets em cheap and he'll get it to you VERY fast and his customer service is AWESOME

Thanks Levi. can you hook me up to some order information, to obtain a tune up kit for a 1959 Evinrude Golden Jubbile 35? Thanks Mitch