Alpha Gen 1 Water pump kit 18-2220 Extra Parts

dukeofwsu

Cadet
Put in a new water pump kit while I had the leg off, now I've got extra parts....

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/big/18-3320.jpg

If you look at the above picture of the kit from Sierra here at iBoats, you'll see two gaskets for the pump that are identical, one small o-ring, and several large o-rings. I used the thinnest large o-ring because it seated best sliding the pump base down, I was afraid the fatter ones would tear out while installing. The two other large o-rings and one small one are leftover, as are the two identical gaskets. What am I missing?

Drive: 55010147-r1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha Gen 1 Water pump kit 18-2220 Extra Parts

The same gasket set in several pump kits that have slightly different housings. Use the ones for your type housing and disard the rest.

Bondo

Staff member

The two other large o-rings and one small one are leftover,

Ayuh,... The tiny O-ring is the quad-ring that goes between the upper, 'n lower...
There may, or may not be an oring at the top of the vertical shaft...
There's also the orings for the shaft through the gimbel bearing...

dukeofwsu

Cadet

Yeah, the tiny one got used at the gear lube channel. The 1" and a couple of the big ones are sitting on the bench. Funny thing, I pulled the drive for the first time since I bought the boat, and the pump shaft seal, which is a square edged rubber ring, was just sitting on top of the pump housing, rather than inside the channel at the top of the housing. Must not have been too big a deal to run that way, gear lube looked good and the boat always ran in the normal temp range. I suppose the manifolds might have got less water than they wanted, but never to any adverse effect.

Bondo

Staff member

and the pump shaft seal, which is a square edged rubber ring, was just sitting on top of the pump housing, rather than inside the channel at the top of the housing.

Ayuh,... That's the way it's Supposed to be,.... Just slid down snug...

dukeofwsu

Cadet

Ayuh,... That's the way it's Supposed to be,.... Just slid down snug...

Good to know, it fit perfectly in the channel between the plastic and metal at the top of the housing. The Seloc manual was for the older style metal housing and grommet, so I didn't have much of a reference.

I guess I'll be pulling it out of there and setting it on top... Thanks,