Gel coat

I have a Javelin 20 ft bass boat that needs recoating done to it. I cannot find any one who will touch it. I dont want to do it myself,dont have tools or patience. Anyone know a good reputable place to have it repaired in the Chattanooga TN area?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gel coat

I had a guy in Nashville quote me 4500 to do a 18 foot sidewinder 15 years ago. I only gave 4000 for the boat. This process is not cheap by any means.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Have it Painted...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

its not that hard.......for under a grand and time you can diy.

to have a pro do it .......get your wallet out

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Crap !! 4500 for 18 feet LOL..thats like paying 2250 per day ;) .

I would say a Quality paint job would cost 3 grand ( including primer ).

Is there a reason why it needs a recoat ?

YD.

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I see Meester Bond has his generic sharp tongue replies as usual
Below the water line Paint & water don't mix, even the best quality paint will start to suffer after after 72hrs in the water.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Question was NOT asked but...probably assumed since it is a Bass Boat that it is a trailered boat and therefore not going to be left in the water for longer than a day at a time. Could be but doubtful. Also a good quality imron paintjob on a boat WILL do quite well if left in Fresh Water lakes for more than a week at a time. Salt Water erm.....Not so much...

I'm just sayin...:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Question was NOT asked but...probably assumed since it is a Bass Boat that it is a trailered boat and therefore not going to be left in the water for longer than a day at a time. Could be but doubtful. Also a good quality imron paintjob on a boat WILL do quite well if left in Fresh Water lakes for more than a week at a time.

GatorMike

Ensign

Question was NOT asked but...probably assumed since it is a Bass Boat that it is a trailered boat and therefore not going to be left in the water for longer than a day at a time. Could be but doubtful. Also a good quality imron paintjob on a boat WILL do quite well if left in Fresh Water lakes for more than a week at a time. Salt Water erm.....Not so much...

What would someone from Oklahoma know about saltwater.......Just kidding ya. Actually leaving even a gel coated hull in saltwater for a week is asking for trouble. Here in the warm waters of Florida it takes about a week for barnicles to start growing on your hull even if the boat is used every day.

Bondo

Staff member

Below the water line Paint & water don't mix, even the best quality paint will start to suffer after after 72hrs in the water.

Ayuh,... I'm sorry you don't like my long winded replies,...
I'll be sure not to reply to your questions....

I've got more than just a few boat paint jobs behind me,...
I know from experince that Paint, is just fine below the waterline, especially on trailer boats...
Although, There's more than a few right here, that live in the water for 4 to 6 months a year...
The Hiliner I Painted 2 seasons ago, went into the water when the paint was less than a week old, 'n it's now spent 2 long seasons docked in the St. Lawrence, without the tiniest problem with it's Paint...
Above, Or below the waterline....

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok Sorry, I'll have to bow to your expertise
maybe its in the prep,
But I do like your long winded replies...
Ayuh,... I'm sorry you don't like my long winded replies,...
I'll be sure not to reply to your questions....

I've got more than just a few boat paint jobs behind me,...
I know from experince that Paint, is just fine below the waterline, especially on trailer boats...
Although, There's more than a few right here, that live in the water for 4 to 6 months a year...
The Hiliner I Painted 2 seasons ago, went into the water when the paint was less than a week old, 'n it's now spent 2 long seasons docked in the St. Lawrence, without the tiniest problem with it's Paint...
Above, Or below the waterline....

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

4500 for a two tone red and silver flake gel job. I wish I had it done then. I am sure it would be twice that now. One of the biggest reasons I read every thread that states gel. Tried it with a 2.5 gun and it stank. Next time 4.5
PIC_0539.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol.......my blood is boiling now...

meester sawdust.......
please understand that Mr. Bond-o is VERY HIGHLY RESPECTED this is due to the fact that he is 99.9999999% of the time.......correct....
that means....out of the 32,000 times he has typed AYUH..........he is wrong only 15 times.......out of the 15 times he has been wrong.......it is most likely due to incorrect information from the orignal poster.....

to be short.....the man knows what he is talking about and his two fingered long wind answers contain volumes of information.
so much so.....that after a back yard boat builder rips his hull apart and gives up and hauls the boat to the land fill......they look back at bond-o's reply and say.....he was right.

in fact, as a professional boat/fiberglass repair person.......i read meester bond-o's posts each time........and learn from each one.

cheers
oops

p.s.
this post is not ment to hurt you or to "put you in your place".......it is ment to make you look at some one that has earned the title "master shipwright" with diferent eyes

oops!

Supreme Mariner

by the way.......there are lots of paints that will hold up under the water line for quite some time.......

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not shooting the holy cow, but painted fiberglass hull's don't hold up that well down here. I can also see that after answering the same question several hundred times one might get slightly abrupt in thier response's.

Thx 4 ur ps
but I knew wht u meant

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not shooting the holy cow, but painted fiberglass hull's don't hold up that well down here. I can also see that after answering the same question several hundred times one might get slightly abrupt in thier response's.

Thx 4 ur ps
but I knew wht u meant

Considering the thousands upon thousands of posts on these forums, the right way of doing things is usually either trampled into dust or ignored completely.

Rustoleum and PL Premium are king around these parts. Anything else is heresy. The right product for the job is probably a few bucks more and therefore a witch. Burn it.

Bondo

Staff member

Considering the thousands upon thousands of posts on these forums, the right way of doing things is usually either trampled into dust or ignored completely.

Rustoleum and PL Premium are king around these parts. Anything else is heresy. The right product for the job is probably a few bucks more and therefore a witch. Burn it.

Ayuh,... And your point Is,..??

If We're all abunch of Hillbilly Rednecks here,...
I'm surprised you've hung around long enough to run up 359 posts......:rolleyes: