Cost for a wetsand ?

Grandlaker

Cadet
I live in the Tulsa area and am looking for someone to wetsand my boat. Currently it has a paint job on it that started flaking off, obviously it was a cheap paint job. Anyway, what is a ballpark price I can expect to pay have this boat wetsanded ? It is 22.6" feet long open bow. Thanks in advance.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cost for a wetsand ?

why do you want a wet sand on paint that is coming off?

approx 50 a foot

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is she an outboard/or I/O? Are we talking about the top cap paint or the Hull? What are you trying to accomplish? We need more info and pics would help too. See my signature line for how to post em. If you are wanting to remove the "Bad Paint Job" so you can have it re-Painted you don't have to Wet sand it. YOU can sand it down with a RO sander and 80 grit to get the old paint off, then fill in any gouges/scratches with a premium marine fiberglass filler, Sand with 150 grit, Prime and Paint. SOP for any DIY'er or Boat Shop. If you're handy I'd say do it yourself and save some bucks. You can get some Great results with Roll and Tip paint or Harbor Freight sells Paint guns pretty darn cheap. Pettit Easy Poxy is a one part Marine paint that works great for Trailered boats. If you're painting the hull and you leave her in the water full time you'll need a different type paint. Remember though the success of a paint job is ALL in the prep. This should help you some.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/boat-painting-guide-10-usa-eng.pdf

I'm just sayin...:D

Grandlaker

Cadet

IO cobalt. Paint is on the hull only, not above the rub rail. Previous owner only painted the stripes and the sides. The surface is as smooth as can be so I'm not too concerned about damage being covered up. They blended the paint at the front and back. Last summer I powerwashed it and blew paint chips everywhere so I'm certain is a cheap paint job. The gel coat that is not painted is in great shape and shows good signs of shine. It just needs a good sanding it was I've been told. Just need to find a place that will do a good job. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Your question then is "how much to remove old paint ?".

Get out the pressure washer again and see what you can do, it may remove a great deal more paint. It also depends on the type of paint they used, it can frequently be removed with a stripper.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

sounds like they painted a cobalt because of oxidation.......shoot them

Grandlaker

Cadet

Yeah I'll just finish what I started with the pressure washer. At least from there I can work on the cost to wetsand. I saw above someone quoted 50 a foot....that seems kinda high doesnt it ?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

not when you consider one foot of boat legnth is 10 sq feet. each sq foot takes time and elbow grease.

however...you are still stuck on this wet sand thing....the purpose of wet sanding....is not to remove paint.......but to remove scratch marks form previous paper and to remove any orange peel that occures during the paint process.

wetsanding is done on show cars and on some boats by people that dont want to dry sand there hull 15 gazillion times with each paper.

can you please give us a better idea of just what it is you wish to accomplish? and what you want for the finished product?

there may be far better cheaper ways than a wet sand wich will probaly not get you what you want

Grandlaker

Cadet

sorry for being so vague. I want to get the gelcoat to shine like it just came from the showroom floor. I was under the impression that a wet sand is the way to go with regards to a boat. Some areas have oxididation and a little fade, nothing I consider too extreme.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

You might want to try to clean one area and test it to see if the shine can be brought back to a acceptable level. You never know what you can find hiding under that paint though. You might find a repair that has no gelcoat at all. Pics would help YD or OPPS to better describe what you need to do.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought
If it was a bad paint job that might be a plus for you.
They might not have preped the surface underneath the paint that maybe
why it did not stick
Not sure what type of paint but try some solvents that will not damage the gel coat
Maybe acetone
If you get lucky and the paint can be removed then you might want to wet sand the gel coat that is underneath the paint
Maybe someone here has removed paint from gel coat they might know what solvent will work
take a look at this

Clean the area with the paint that is to be removed first. Prepare a solution of a 5% caustic soda detergent, and 5% citrus degreaser in a large bucket of warm water. Apply the solution to the surface and scrub with a soft-bristled brush. Rinse thoroughly and dry completely

Visit a marine supply store and purchase a marine paint remover. Do not use an ordinary paint remover, or anything that contains methylene chloride. It will damage the gelcoat.

Use a wide paint brush and apply the remover to the paint on the gelcoat surface. Leave the remover on for a while, allowing it to soften the paint. When you can begin to rub off the paint with a rag and a little elbow grease, it is ready.

Use a generous supply of clean rags and rub off the paint and remover from the gelcoat. It will take a little work, but it will come off. Add more remover as necessary for difficult spots. Rinse the area thoroughly.

Things You'll Need:
Caustic soda detergent
Citrus de-greaser, both available at janitorial supply stores
Soft bristled brush
Marine specific paint remover, available at marine supply stores
Wide paint brush
Clean rags

Read more: How to Remove Paint From Gelcoat | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5246979_remove-paint-gelcoat.html#ixzz1BUc5zktM

Read more: How to Remove Paint From Gelcoat | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5246979_remove-paint-gelcoat.html#ixzz1BUbwI500

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yup..try acetone ..

depending on how thick the bs paint is, you might get away with 320 on a da sander..then sand 400,600,1000 buff.

hard to tell without some pics..but this is what I would do after trying acetone.

YD.