Which manual should I buy?

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1986 Sylvan Offshore with a 3.0 mercruiser and I believe it's an alpha 1 outdrive. Been looking at manuals and am not sure which one of these I should buy.
1) Seloc 64-86 Stern Drive Repair Manual
2) Clymer 64-85 & 86-87 TR & TRS Models (don't know what "TR & TRS" is)
3) Clymer 86-94 Alpha 1 Bravo 1/2/3
4) Clymer 86-94 Alpha Bravo

I only know Seloc because I got one with an old 40hp Mercury I had. Not sure if one is better than the other or should I get something else or which one I need for my boat. Can anyone give a recommendation?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Which manual should I buy?

sure is a good thing yer here Don S. making sure i don't give out crummy info. thanks for putting the op onto the proper info..

back to i still can't read. #8 says 'MERCURY Marine' 4 cyl. yep, the wrong thing.. i'll keep working on my reading skills.. ;)

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

Big thanks Don & Ziggy. Really appreciate the info. Any suggestions on where to buy a hard copy of those 2 manuals?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Ya fill up your printer with ink and paper and hit the print button, or just print out what you need for each project. Digital copy is better than a hard copy. It doesn't get ruined while your turning the pages with greasy hands or when you spill your coffee on it...

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda like to be able to take the manual out to the boat or anywhere else for that matter if I'm working on a problem. Guess I can print out whatever info I need. Did a little bit of searching on ebay and found mercruiser shop manuals going for about $40. Is that the going price for them, or too much, or a deal?

ziggy

Admiral

i find it nice to have both. book and pdf.
if i only had one, i'd want pdf. since ya can print out specific pages.

i use the pdf to read up slow and try to take it all in as to whats being said. then when i get down to the deed i take my book with me.

$40 sounds about right i suppose. if i remember right i got #1 for $35 and #2 for 25. got lucky in bidding on ebay i guess..

donberry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A clymer's came with my boat. 1st thing I did was order a factory service manual - money well spent. I will say that I have used the clymer's also. The factory is wayyyyyy better, but I got a different perspective picture wise with the clymers.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once again thanks to everyone. Guess it's off to ebay.

donberry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the clymer came with the boat, I bought the factory manual on ebay. I did cheat a little tho. Apparently the 1988 model is a more rare copy and they wanted over $100 for it, so I bought the 1989 model for around $60.00 shipped. It arrived in days, was a brand new book. Guy I bought it from is here

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Apparently the 1988 model is a more rare copy and they wanted over $100 for it, so I bought the 1989 model

You were also buying OMC manuals, not Mercruiser manuals

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I said before, thanks guys. Found both manuals on ebay. Used the "make an offer" and got them for $29.99 each shipping included.