1996 mariner 150 efi trigger coil

jpohlman

Cadet
i just replaced trigger coil,stator and volt regulators,my bogging problem stopped for a few trips,which was a huge improvement,since problem started it would not miss a trip,after a few minutes of driving it would bog and stay that way,my last trip out last week it happened again,i tested new trigger coil,it is supposed to read 800 - 1400 and its reading 760 on all tests,did i get a bad one or is there something that can burn up a trigger coil,ie power packs?if there is something that can smoke triggers please let me know im running out of money and patience,,,this is 3 month long problem and no local mechanic can figure it out.thanks for any help posible

Re: 1996 mariner 150 efi trigger coil

Compression test? You are pretty close I wouldn't think you are getting bad results but you need a DVA to test voltage. New stator. Compression, spark, fuel pressure?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

DVA testing is THE most reliable indicator of ignition parts. The cost of the meter, or adaptor, is well spent and will save spending far more in un necessary/wrong NON-returnable electrical parts.

DVA test should be done THREE times, once, with all parts connected, second, with parts un-plugged to see if the ignition module has/is grounding the stator/trigger, reducing the reading.

And tested a third time, after repairs, to ensure all readings are as expected.

Yes, a dying ignition module CAN kill a stator/trigger in a relatively short time, which is the reason for the THIRD round of DVA tests, to verify that all components of the ignition are working correctly together.

SparkieBoat

Captain

DYI outboard repair requires a DVA adapter..google it they are not that much...

jpohlman

Cadet

i was just told to test ecu for injector driver and sure enough thats it.thanks guys