Manual tilt

bake426

Recruit
I have a 1995 Johnson 48 hp outboard motor with a manual tilt. After a few months of not using the boat, the motor is now stuck in the down position. I move the lever and it still moves the same amount either way. The hydraulic shock seemed to be getting weaker over the past few years as the motor was getting heavier and heavier on lifting it up. I feel that the shock has finally failed and I am trying to get the motor up to try to replace it. I tried taking the motor angle adjustment pin out to maybe get the motor to swing up, but am not having any luck there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bake426

Recruit
Re: Manual tilt

Did you get the lower pin out?

Thanks for replying. I did not get the motor angle pin out yet. I hit it with a hammer and a punch to get it moving but it is not going easily, so I stopped before I take a chance at damaging it and not knowing if this is going to do the trick.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Your prob might be a cable adjustment but i doubt it. As old as it is the tilt cyl is probably shot. If you can find a brass drift(punch) beat the lower pin out. You may want to replace the tilt cyl but once you find out the price I doubt it. DON'T try to take the cyl appart 'cause it can blow up in your face.

stewfish1818

Seaman Apprentice

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may also want to get a Mapp gas torch and heat the area up around the pin. This may help. You still may want to think about a brass drift 'cause if you flare the ends of those pins out your screwed.

bake426

Recruit

Ok, been working the last week. I tried to put the nut back on the lower pin to put it back in and the it will not go because I did an ever so slight mushroomed the bolt. So I continued with the sledgehammer and got it to the point where the motor is up and accessible to the hydraulic shock assembly. Now I have just another inch to get the pin out and that should be easy to replace.

I have not started looking for the replacement assembly that I needed in the first place. I heard it was going to be about $500.00 just for the parts. Any one have a suggestion of where to buy it for cheaper?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to try the Top Secret file on top of this forum. Look for salvage yards. You may find something there.