Rebuilding Ford 5.0 HO

cobraowner

Cadet
Just got my block back from the machine shop and was verifying specs prior to pkutting parts back in. The camshaft that I received from the kit has the standard lobe lift but I see that the OMC manual shows a different lobe lift. I will be getting the rigth camshaft and finally to my question.

I have not found any other parts differences in the manual or parts catalog between the standard and the HO model. Does anyone know of any other differences, maybe like the pistons? I did see something in the manual about red and blue but not sure what that means.

Thanks.

cobraowner

Cadet
Re: Rebuilding Ford 5.0 HO

Thanks, yes it is a OMC marine engine. It is out of a 94 Chris Craft. I recently passed along all of the specs and model info that I had to the shop. They are working on the heads now so I wanted to make sure they knew it was an HO. I had them work on the block and they had all the original parts. After seeing the camshaft did not have the same specs I knew they didn't have all the info they needed. Since I already have the new pistons ready to install I am hoping they are the same as the 5.0. Seems as if all of the specs for them are the same between the two.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Rebuilding Ford 5.0 HO

You won't be able to find published specs for the cam but Summit Racing carries a large selection of marine cams. As an alternative (and cheaper) tell your builder you want a cam for an RV. They are VERY close to the marine cam and you will never notice any real difference.

Yes, pistons should be the same. (As long as they work with your heads.)

Any of the truck/4x4 cams should be fine as long as they are made to have the powerband in the 800-4400 or lower rpms. Also make sure the LOA doesn't get too crazy (110 is good).