removing shift cable from pivot housing problem - OMC

donberry

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Boat is a Dynasty 190 fish& ski with a OMC 4.3l engine. I am removing the transom assembly so I can rebuild the transom (water is leaking around the assembly, could just be the seal, but I imagine it has rotted the wood). All is going well so far thanks to the Factory service manual, a Clymer's manual and the info found here. Only problem I have is I can not remove the bolt that holds in the shift cable to the pivot housing. The shift cable, red, goes thru the bolt with a brass housing on the inside of the housing. When I turn the bolt, the brass housing on the other side just turns with it. I tried holding the brass assembly with some pliers, but am kind of leery about messing up the brass housing, so did not use vise grips etc.....
any ideas on how to get that bolt out. Cable and sheath is in good shape, so would prefer to keep it and not cut it as I know I am going to be spending a fair amount as is to repair transom, so every penny saved.......
thanks for any info

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: removing shift cable from pivot housing problem - OMC

I would replace the cable...No sense in using the old cable after all of that work.

MRS

Commander

If it is the same mine (86 cobra 4.3) the cable should just slide right through that fitting. Plus that cable should be changed if it has not been changed in the last 2 or three years. Very important to keeping outdrive in good working shape and smooth shifting.... Love mine shifts smooth but these suckers are $$$$$ if you have to replace......

zbnutcase

Commander

If I am understanding you correctly, that brass "bolt" is actually the end of the shift cable and unscrews from "pivot housing", and the red portion of the cable needs to spin with it....pics would help

donberry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes, I got it. I just turned the housing....