transom repair options

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys,
Today i confirmed my suspisions my transom is rotted the edges are good but the centre where to motor mounts the timber is all wet.
So here is my problem i plan to buy a bigger boat in about 2 years and wanted to keep this one just for the fishing trips up until then the boat is not worth spending any real money as the hull is quite old however the motor if fairly new and all of the gear is pretty new
So what would my options be so far i have replace transom quoted at 4 thousand really not worth if for this boat
source another hull in good nick and swap all of my current gear into it (however a good hull might not show up for ages)
or can i bolt in a 5mm piece of aluminum plate on both sides and bolt through the good timber ?
maybe the last option is to give replacing it a try myself i am not to confident on doing the work myself as i have only ever done small amounts of fibreglass work.
not to keen on chasing another boat at the moment either as it is summer in AUS and as a result all of the boats for sale double in price
Thanks guys

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transom repair options

Generally speaking, stay with what you have. It's a sure thing and as you say, something else may not show up for some time.

But you're worried about throwing good money after bad, correct? You're not sure if the boat is worth the extra money? You want to be on the water but you need to make the repair...so, doncha have any friends who have boats? heh heh

I say, now is a good time to learn some new skills and you have the perfect project. You don't provide any particulars except to say you'll use 5mm for a patch. For a small runabout that may be okay, providing you secure it correctly. That's a given, but how will you? You have to provide further details of your boat.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is what I'm doing to my transom. I olny had a small soft spot. So I made a template yesterday.

Attachments

• transom 6.jpg
    transom 6.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • top4.jpg
    top4.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • top7.jpg
    top7.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • top8.jpg
    top8.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • top5.jpg
    top5.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I agree..we need some pics to see the construction of the transom..

YD.

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replys,
To right i should add some boat details i believe it is a early 80s hull deep V its a 15 foot runabout it was suited perfectly to what i wanted to use it for at this point.
The transom runs across the lentgh of the rear which is why i though it may be easy to use plate aluminum to put a temp transom in.
The plate aluminim would pretty much cover the whole rear of the transom and large plaes on the inside also.
i have added in 2 images all i have with me at the moment ill get some better ones now that the motor is off.
The only plans i have for it was a coat of white paint to get rid of the horried faded poo yellow colour but now with this thrown in i am unsre what to do from here.
IMG00145-20100102-1901.jpgIMG00144-20100102-1901.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IMHO there are two ways to repair a transom. The right way and the easy way. Your suggestion is the easy way. If your transom is rotten there is a High Likelihood that your stingers have some rot issues as well. But since you are wanting to only keep the boat for a couple of years and then get rid of it I suppose you could try and do a "Patch" job of some sort to get you by. The design of your top cap with the splash well integrated into it makes it tough to get to the transom. You COULD cut the top cap side walls in front of the splashwell and remove the rear section of the cap to get to the transom and replace it. You would then only have to blend the cuts back in when you reattach. Since you want to paint it that could be a very viable option. This could make it a fairly easy project and would/should not take you to much time or money or effort. I would NOT to the aluminum plate reinforcement. IT WILL NOT WORK!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

jonesg

Admiral

When I got my boat it had that reinforcement scheme you are thinking about, it was really well done with 24" stainless threaded rods to angle plates on a cross beam in the fwd bilge area. Its still didn't work, the splashwell started cracking open.
Outboards need something more solid than a plate over rot.

I would cut the splashwell out, leave the top lip of the transom.
3 cuts, all inside the transom will make it easier to conceal the repair when you reinstall it.
One cut along ea side ( just beneath the side rod holders) and one across the top 1" above the upper bolt holes of the outboard.
Cut 2 feet from the rear deck away so you can get at the lower transom and the rear stringer area.
Use unwaxed resin only, mail order it or buy from a marine store. I would order a case (4 gals) , you can always sell the extra.
The whole job should cost less than $300 unless you go nuts and insist on epoxy resin and marine ply.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Is the transom just wet ?..or is it rotted...

I dunno about cutting your integrated well out..I would lean more to uncapping to repair the trans.

I think at this point more inspection is required.

YD.

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes uncap
as with everything in life there are issues that are not always visible on the surface

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all of the replys,
I have found a better shot of the full rear of the boat to give a better idea of what i am looking at.
Uncapping the boat sounds like it would be the best way to go to do it properly i am just not sure i have the time to take on such a large scale project.

Yacht DR The transom is wet it has not yet rotted out yet i can scrape out plywood but it has not yet become a mush.

JonesG your info has been helpful pretty much proves the steel idea id pointless no matter how well thought out it just does not work.

I would be happy to take on the project if i knew i could complete it properly i am just not confident in my fibreglassing skills.
And then if i pull the transom out and find rotted stringers thats more work i am not really prepared to put effort in that and if i am doing this much work i'd like to modify the rear splah well so i can put in moulded seats at each side
If i do start with this it will turn into a massive project where i end up refitting the interior to how i want it new floor layout dash rear etc and i would love to just once again somes back to the fibreglassing.Perhaps i can try find someone here that is willing to lend a hand for a case of beer and some cash ......
Cheers
boat transom.jpg