The Wheel

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer
For all the rehabbers who pulled their steering wheels, and put them back on. What is the procedure with the KEY?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: The Wheel

I put some heavy grease that semi glued it to the spline, then pushed the new wheel on.

dozerII

Admiral

The grease is a great idea, as it makes the wheel easier to get off in the future. If you are using an aftermarket wheel it may have many key slots for adjusment, which will allow you to straighten the wheel after the maiden voyage.
Glen

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys.............since the albums were removed, haven't posted any pictures of progress but I did resolve the great wiring mystery I had. Pretty close to testing with battery after all connections made and meter tested again. Regarding the wheel Key, I guess what direction do you place it meaning it has a half moon shape?

Decals and striping on order also.

dozerII

Admiral

The halfmoon shape goes in the shaft, flat side wheel side.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The halfmoon shape goes in the shaft, flat side wheel side.

That's about as good an explanation as I could offer too. That was the easy part for me...making sure the thing turned in the right direction proved to be challenging:D

dozerII

Admiral

That's about as good an explanation as I could offer too. That was the easy part for me...making sure the thing turned in the right direction proved to be challenging:D
I know what you mean there HA, the first time I put the rack and pinion back togehter on my 16 SS, I put the rack on the wrong side of the pinion and this caused the motor to turn left when the wheel was turned right. Good thing I noticed this before the maiden voyage.
Glen

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Now you threw a monkey wrench into it.....lol

I saw some pics, the process to appear to be this. Line up your outboard manually as centered best as possible.

Attach your stem where the key slot is on top, north to south, then place the wheel in a centered alignment.

Sound right?