1985 V4 Crossflow T-Stat install

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have installed my new T-Stats twice today and get an overheat in about 3 minutes of idle time. Does anyone have any pics on install besides the POS Clymer book picture.
Or is there a suggestion as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Larry

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 V4 Crossflow T-Stat install

I went to the BRP page and found the info on the install but even after reinstalling everything I am still overheating very quickly.
I have good flow at the tell tale but then it starts getting exremely hot, almost steamy hot!
What else could be causing this?

I have run this engine for years without stats in it and have never had an overheat problem but after reading the thoughts of some of you on the forum decided to put new stats in to see if it would help my fuel economy a wee bit.

Larry

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Are you running on muffs, barrel or water? This overheat issue did not arise until you installed the stats?

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

High
I am running on muffs but do that evertime I pull it out of the saltwater and never had an issue until I installed the new stats today. Water pump is a couple of months old and I put new head gaskets on it today (every two years) and decided it might need stats?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Running a high performance engine (yours) on a flushette requires that the hose water pressure be on full force. Low water pressure results in gaps in the water supply.

The working end (long end) of the thermostats face the thermostat housing, not the engine. Although it is near impossible to install them backwards, I've seen it done a couple times. No insulting reflections aimed at your intelligence... just a note of what something encountered over the years.

The thermostat(s) open at about 148? resulting in the engine running somewhat hotter than that of course. This heat range allows you to hold your hand/fingers on the large exhaust baffle plate or the cylinder heads for a time but not indeffinitely.

Notice the holes/slots at the rear section of the lower unit, just above the cavitation plate. Those are the water outlets for the thermostat water flow. When cold, there is no water flow out of those holes, but when the thermostats open...... water should flow out of those holes immediately.

Thermostats in that engine is a must.
(Thermostat Purpose)
(J. Reeves)

Many engines are considered high performance engines and demand a thermostat(s), and many smaller hp engines also require a thermostat for the following reason. The pistons actually distort/twist off round when running. The thermostat is required to keep the outer wall surrounding the steel cylinder, and the cylinder wall itself at a temperture to compensate for the distortion.

With the thermostat removed, the difference in temperture between the inside the cylinder and the water jacket quickly reaches a point whereas (in effect) you have a oblong piston running up and down a round cylinder, or vice versa. Bottom line is without the thermostat, the piston and cylinder wall could be damaged in a short period of time.

The thermostat in your car isn't there simply to have the heater function properly..... think about it.

If the water deflectors have never been replaced, and you haven't inspected them when the heads were off, they may be a source of overheating.

(Water Deflectors)
(J. Reeves)

Water deflectors are actually lengths of 3/8" outside diameter rubber hose, installed between the top cylinder and any cylinder beneath it, and also between the bottom cylinder and the block. The purpose of the deflectors is to have the water follow a definite path around the cylinder walls. Unfortunately the deflectors between the cylinders will at times swell sideways due to either a previous bad overheating problem, or simply due to age and salt corrosion. This causes a water flow restriction which usually allows the water to cool sufficently at low rpms but not at the higher rpms.

This hose material can be purchased reasonably at any automotive parts type store if you care to make your own, or you can purchase individual deflectors at any Evinrude/Johnson dealership at a somewhat higher cost.

Removing and installing them can be a hassle at times, but not always. I use a sharply pointed scribe with about 1/4" of the tip bent at a right angle whereas I can reach in, jab the tip sideways into the rubber, then yank it out. It's necessary to clean the seating surfaces where the ruber contacts the block with a small rat tail file to eliminate salt deposits etc. When installing the new rubber deflector, coat the deflector and the metal surfaces with WD40 which will act as lubrication to allow it to go in as easily as possible.

Make sure that you insert something into that deflector area before cutting and installing the deflectors if you make your own so that you will be certain that they are the right length and also that they will be seated properly. Usually a very small amount will be left extending about the block sealing area..... simply cut the excess off with a single edge razor blade.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info Joe!!
I will not take it as your questioning my intelligence...lol!
I did have everything installed correctly according to the BRP page and my Sea Drive Parts manual but did have the hose on low flow. I just pulled the LU to check to make sure the water pump was good and that it was lined up with the water tube and everything looked good.
I will reinstall the t-stats and run a high hose pressure and check it again but thinking about it I don't remember seeing any water coming out of the slots in the LU when this engine started getting hot. The stats have 143 stamped on them and when checking them in heated water at 145F they do start to open.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There must be a blockage in your cooling circuit somewhere. Before you bolt it up, ensure the intake area is clear of debris, and flush/backflush the cooling circuit from the t stat housing to the water pump, and from the water pump to the t stat housing.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

High
I did that before I put the LU back in and everthing was clear.

Took Joes advise and she ran great.

Thanks for the input!!!

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe!!

Your advise was right on!! Thank you again!
Reinstalled the stats and turned the water pressure up and started her up. Watched the slots on the lower and within a minute I saw water coming out of them. Also, ran it for 15 minutes and where I used to be able to hold my finger on the heads for a long period of time now it starts getting uncomfortable in about 5 seconds. All feel about the same but I will check it with an infrared tomorrow.

FYI- I change my head gaskets every two years. It gives me a chance to look at the pistons and cyl walls as well as check and clean the water passages and install new deflectors. Kind of anal about keeping her running right and it has paid off with very high hours on my power heads.

Thanks again!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully the low hose water pressure is your only problem. I was pulling the 148? from memory (pretty close). The "no water" exit mention of the thermostat relief holes could very well be due to the low water pressure also (simulates cavitation).

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope so to Joe!
Gonna run a heat check on it in the morning and take it out to Tampa Bay to see how it runs. I did pull the heat sensors out today and did an oil heat test on them and hooked them up to the the system while they were still in the hot oil and both activated the alarm, cleaned the ports and installed new head cover gaskets.
The "no water" may have just been my not noticing it either. Something to look for and remember the next time!

Thanks again Joe!

Larry

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe,

Checked the head temp this morning with an infrared and the engine was idleing at 150F-152F depending on what cylinder I was checking. Felt comfortable with it and took it out for a long hard run on the bay. Ran great and gave me a great feeling for working security for Gasparilla in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again for your knowledge and help!!

Larry