question re: transom trim molding?

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a 2002 Larson 20 foot bowrider. Both of the vertical molding pieces - on starboard and port side - that go from the top of the transom motor mounting surface to the start of the rub rail are cracked and need to be replaced. For some reason, Larson decided to make these out of plastic. I've contacted several dealers and both have said that the molding pieces are NLA from Larson.

I've looked on ebay with no luck. Any advice for finding these or is there anything aftermarket or alternative that can be used instead?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: question re: transom trim molding?

Couldn't you fabricte them yourself and polish them out of 1/8" aluminum??? Pics would really help!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

drewpster

Commander

I was going to suggest the same. Mine were 1/2 or 3/4 aluminum angle originally. You can buy that stuff at Home Depot and cut it yourself.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

re: the idea of fabricating the pieces, the original ones have a fair amount of curvature (sorry no picture capability at moment), how workable would that be with trying the DIY aluminum idea? Thanks for the replies!

drewpster

Commander

Depends on how much of a curve we are talking about, but it is very workable. Go pick up a stick and give it a try.