antifouling in freshwater

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My antifouling is just about to have redone. I am using the boat in freshwater only and wonder, if it really needs to be done. Is this also a protection from osmosis?

Thanks for your reply.

Best Regards,

popey

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: antifouling in freshwater

Redone sounds like it was done once already. The hull will look hammered when you remove the paint. If it's been painted already, you're better off repainting it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

AF paint is not protection from osmosis. Check around the water you will be boating in and see if AF is necessary

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Even in fresh water, AF paint is a benefit if the boat stays in the water all of the time. Walk down my dock and look at the majority of boats that have bottom paint and the few that dont. All of the painted boats are clean at the water line and under, whereas the raw fiberglass boats look at though they need a haircut.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Your boat is not a plant...

Osmosis is not a condition of properly cured fiberglass....Blistering is caused by water reaction with uncured resins in the lams .. thus produceing Glycol..

IF you have such a boat with uncured resin then yea you have to barrier coat that bottom to stop the action between water and resin..

Bottom paint will NOT do this as the molucules in H2o is smaller then that of the resin binders that have not cross-linked.

Im no science major..nor do I fully understand this..

YD.

PS. IF you have blisters then the only way I know how to protect your boat is with an Epoxy barrior system..

YD.