Auto-inflated belt pack PFD?

GTBecker

Cadet
The Safety forum seems closed to posts, so:

All of the belt-pack PFDs I've seen require putting one's head through the neck hole. While I understand that an auto-inflate life jacket (already around the neck, not a belt pack) should properly right and float an unconscious ejected boater, what is the value of an auto-inflate belt pack if the wearer is unconscious? Might rescuers find a drowned boater tethered to a float?

Is the rationale of an auto-inflate belt pack just to remove one thing to do in the rush of an emergency?

Re: Auto-inflated belt pack PFD?

what is the value of an auto-inflate belt pack if the wearer is unconscious?

IMHO, not much. Those are popular among bass fisherman, and while they'd probably be just fine for someone who slipped and fell in they're pretty useless for anything else.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

The auto inflate PFD was not designed for convenience. It was designed to save the life of an unconscious person thrown into the water. The belt-pack auto inflating PFD will most likely insure the death by drowning of an unconscious person in the water.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Belts are very popular with guys working the cockpit of fishing boats. Light weight, and don?t restrict your upper body movements.

Figuring that 99.9% percent of the people that go overboard for one reason or another are not unconscious, I?ll take that 0.1% chance for the freedom they afford.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

they are like the old "ski belts" we used to wear, even as children in a sailing program. As was said, they serve some life-saving functions but not all; the trade-off is the comfort/convenience. For warm water use where the risk of head injury is minimal, they make sense.

For example, in warm water drift fishing with others on board, I often remove my PFD vest, but put it back on when motoring. The risk is minimal.

But if you use these devices, be aware that they might not count as a "pfd" among your requirements. I heard that "float coats" don't count unless they are being worn; same for suspenders?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Nothing beats a good "face up" PFD when your in the Crap..

I dont know many people that wear PFD's when its all clear and pleasure cruising or fishing..its only when they are in the blue water and have Severe weather..

I personally would not trust an auto-inflate PFD on a string with kids or even myself ..

But IF the Water is contimplating my demise..I allways put on my Life line..and ( tried and tested ) PFD.

YD.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

So, you'd wear the belt-pack. Auto or manual?
I have an auto vest and a manual belt pack. I find myself grabing the belt a heck of a lot more than the vest.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Had a manual belt pack. Hated it, Seemed like it was always in the way, catching on things, restricting access to my pockets, etc.
Picked up some inflatable SOSpenders, love it, wear it all the time. So does the wife.
I also have several full vest style Stearns, which we wear mostly when it is cold out.

GTBecker

Cadet

Can anyone relate a real-life unplanned necessary deployment of a belt pack?

NYBo

Admiral

Figuring that 99.9% percent of the people that go overboard for one reason or another are not unconscious, I?ll take that 0.1% chance for the freedom they afford.
The bigger question is how long they remain conscious once they hit the water, and whether they can right themselves, especially in cold water, even if they remain conscious. Nope, no belt for this northern boy!

LadyFish

Admiral

It is my understanding that a Belt Pack is manually inflated by pulling the activation cord. After which, it must be pulled over the head for proper use as a flotation device.

Manually-activated inflatable PFDs are inflated by pulling the inflation cord that hangs from the PFD at waist-height. They will not inflate when they get wet or are immersed in water. Manually-activated PFDs are a great choice for activities such as paddling, wade-fishing and swimming where there is a reasonable chance you will end up in the water and are confident you will be able to pull the inflation cord when you need it. They are also ideal for situations where control over PFD inflation is desired.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

in humid areas, the auto-inflates sometimes go off by themselves. I've often wondered about rain and spray, too.

evaluate your circumstances; know your limitations.