What to look for in an used trailer?

10point

Seaman
I am looking for a used trailer for my 16 foot fishing boat. There is a marina near here that has a 97 shorlandr they are asking $400 for. Anything besides the obvious that I should be looking for when I go to look at it?

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What to look for in an used trailer?

I'm glad you asked this question...so many people neglect to check the trailer!

Trailers need to be fit to the boat.
Rollers get expensive, spin each one! Flat or wobbly ones have to be replaced!
Please don't forget to check the wheels for loose wheel bearings!

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess it depends on what you consider the obvious. :D

Strap in good condition?
Winch in working condition?
coupler working freely?
all lights in working order?
wheel bearings free and greased?
Jack working?
bunks in good shape?
Rollers lubricated?
If it has brakes, do they work?
Condition of tires and tire pressure?

Other than these, I guess I don't think there's anything beyond the obvious :p

In most cases, I'd guess a marina will not sell a dangerous trailer without informing you of what it needs. If everything works, sounds like $400 is a good deal to me!

Good luck!

64osby

Admiral

If the trailers close, go and take some pics and post them. That will let us know what your looking at, and what $400 gets in your neck of the woods.

10point

Seaman

You can see it here:

http://talltimbers.onetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_rdautos&view=category&id=2

My Dad gave me his older fishing boat when he retired and got a new boat. The currently trailer is a 1974 model and needs a new axle. It also needs a new winch and winch stand plus it is a 14 foot trailer and the boat is a 16 footer so the bunks are long and it hangs out the back of the trailer a long ways. I am thinking I should just look for a decent used one instead of putting money into the old one.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

In addition to the list a few posts back, check out the springs, shackles etc on the suspension, too. Also that the safety chains are in good shape and well-anchored.

If that were galvanized, I'd say $400 would be about right. Being painted steel, I'd try to get the price down to $200 and settle for something in the $250 to $300 range. And these prices are if everything checks out OK.

What kind of boat, BTW? Aluminum or glass? Flat-bottom or deep-V?

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure to check the welds (no cracks or anything funny going on). From the pic, it looks like a nice trailer.

64osby

Admiral

I'd agree with ajgraz $250-300 for it. Look it over good, low ball him. Marinas should be pretty hungry right now. Plus I would bet they have no money invested in that, got it on trade in.

I've got two trailers in the yard , if I got $400 each my wife would be pretty happy. Good luck!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

This is probably a novice question but how should I do this?

Grab the wheel and push and pull on it...should be very little play if any.
Also look for rust on the cross sections and frame of the trailer.
Those painted steel trailers rust from the inside out....look for rust signs under the paint.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You may need to do a little adjustments on the bunks and rollers but it could be made to work..

nlain

Commander

Being in Indiana probably means it has only been in fresh water which to me anyway would be better, fresh water does not corrode like saltwater. Still need to check it out, all of the things listed above. It does look good in the picture. I pulled up the marina, it is in Indiana.