impeller instalation question

orion208

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am just about to install a new impeller in a Volvo-Penta 4.3 the instuction sheet states to use "gasket cement",I have worked on car engines ie.thermostats etc.and never used gasket cement.The gasket is foam do I need to get some cement or should I just put the gasket in and tighten down?Also does anyone know the torque for the little flat head screws for the cover?Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: impeller instalation question

hello<br /> I just use grease to hold the little white foam piece in place<br /> I cant remember the torque but they break off rather easy. be careful. <br /> good luck and keep posting

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Merc sells a goop called perfect seal. But I think it only comes in 16oz cans. OMC sells a similar goop that is much smaller size.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, If you want to glue the gasket in place then pick up a spray can of 3M super 77 adhesive. They sell it at Home Depot for around $12.00 a can. It's like an artist's adhesive. It won't dissolve plastic or foam and it works great. As a mechanic I have been using it to tack gaskets in place for years with no problems.