2000 Yamaha F25

TXFishin

Recruit
I just bought a 2000 F25 that had been setting up for the past 3 or 4 years. The engine had been on the water a total of 3 times since it was purchased. Thankfully before it was stored the fuel was ran out of it because as soon as I added fuel and power she cranked right up. I have had it out and ran about 6 gallons through when I noticed oil seeping out from under the plastic cover just under the main housing cover. When I removed it I noticed it was coming from what looks like where the main motor bolts to the lower end. It appears there is a "block" separating the motor from the lower end and it is slowly seeping from both the top and bottom of this block. Has anyone experienced this before? Also i was looking at service manuals online and noticed there are several companies offering them. Should i stick with the $80 Yamaha manual or are the $19.99 manuals others are offering sufficient for a teardown/rebuild?
Any help or guidance is appreciated!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 Yamaha F25

Can you post some pics of what you are talking about?
Not sure of what you are saying "the main motor bolts to the lower end. It appears there is a "block" separating the motor from the lower end and it is slowly seeping from both the top and bottom of this block"
Yamaha manuals are good and they are for only the motor it was made for where the after market ones cover many years and models, but some say they do not give the untrained guy the info he needs. If you do some searching you can find some that are down loadable for around $10. If you do not like them then there is not a lot lost

TXFishin

Recruit

Motor22.jpgMotor11.jpg
Attached Pictures
Sorry for the poor terminology, I have been a mechanic all my life with little experience on marine.

Is your oil level too high, and on these four stroke your are storing it right, notice the sticker on how to lay the motor down correctly.

TXFishin

Recruit

Oil level is where it is suppose to be. It?s not leaking/seeping bad enough to even notice a drop on the dipstick at this point.
I always store it with the motor in the fully down position. It doesn?t seep while sitting only when it?s running. I assume the pressure in the engine is causing it and the fact that it sat for so many years changed the integrity of the gaskets and causing it to leak?