misssing airbox gasket.

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I noticed when I pulled the lid off the airbox on my 89 Evinrude that it had no gasket. I asked my local boat mechanic about this and he said it didn't need one Is this true or not

Re: misssing airbox gasket.

You will be fine with no gasket (I'm not entirely sure there is even one there from the factory.) Regardless, this is not a place that there should be any kind of vacuum, so it won't cause you any problems at all.

Brian

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i wasn't even thnking about a vacumn but instead thinking of dust or particles entering the area.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Some had gaskets, some did not, some were critical and necessary for proper engine operation.

It would help if you listed just exactly what engine you have.

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i wasn't even thnking about a vacumn but instead thinking of dust or particles entering the area.
doesn't matter, there is no air filter anywhere anyway on any outboard I have ever owned (that still true?)
clean air over the water (mostly)

SparkieBoat

Captain

there is no filter..but as Joe mentioned in some motors it could make a difference because they are made to run with certain amount of air intake restriction. too much air could cause the cylinder to run lean and burn a hole in the piston.

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1989 e40 tlcec and upon looking up the part I found the gasket and went ahead and ordered thinking why would it show if not needed

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I think that that one does have the gasket.
There is another reason for the gasket. The gasket guarantees that the air can only come into the engine from one area which makes it very hard for "stray" water or other crap to make it into your carburetor

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Another reason the gasket is there is to keep the "spit back" you get on a 2 stroke from the carbs leaking out when you tilt up the mtr. There should be a hose on the bottom of the box where the oil is run back through mtr when re-started.