Sealing Gunnel Panels.....type of caulk for easy removal later

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer
I have some gunnel or gunwale panels that serve as rod storage on my boat. Access behind the panels is required for wiring maintenance if ever need be. What type of caulking can I use to seal the panel to the floor that would make for a fairly easy removal in the future?

I know not to use 3M 5200/4200 or any caulking that is polyurethane based. I've seen stuff called Life Seal or Life Caulk but it is a polyurethane/silicone blend. I was thinking about 100% white silicone from Lowe's or HD that is exterior and mold/mildew resistant.

What do you guys recommend? The gap is 3/8" wide by 3/8" deep.

Thanks!

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sealing Gunnel Panels.....type of caulk for easy removal later

I would recommend the boat life caulk. In my opinion regular silicon has very few uses on a boat especially in the area you plan to use it becuase it will be exposed to a lot of water (and I assume salt water?). There are a lot of adhesive removers that will remove boat life with ease; they even work wonders on 3M 5200. I will try to find the can I use on 5200 because I can't think of the name right now. If you think you will need to remove the panel a few times then maybe silicone will be alright for you, but if you will only have to foreseeably remove the panel once for a repair then use the boat life and keep a can of the remover handy if you'd like. Silicone will likely have to be removed and reapplied give or take every few years. Also if there is a lot of flex in that area silicone will not last long. In a dry, stable area or in fresh water it will last longer.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Marine silicone has its uses...this might be one of them..

Its not structural..and basically its a "pod" ..

Silicone or 3m 4000 IMO.. ( no not 4200... 4000 .. ).

If its just a cosmetic seal then nothing wrong with silicone m8...

YD.

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what M8 silicone is, maybe you could explain further. I'm tempted to try a new silicone/polymer blend that DAP has out called DAP 3.0. It's supposed to have more adhesion properties and still have the mold/mildew resistant properties as standard silicone. Plus, it's only $5 per tube vs. $20 for the Life Seal.

The gap that I'm filling is just that, a gap that is collecting dirt, trash, fish blood, etc. My main goal is to fill the gap to prevent that from filling with that crud and direct an water run-off to the back of the boat where the scuppers are located, instead of it draining down into the stringer and bilge area.

sasto

Captain

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what M8 silicone is, maybe you could explain further. I'm tempted to try a new silicone/polymer blend that DAP has out called .

That's silicone, mate.....Your choice would probably work in your situation. Like YD says "silicone has it's uses" and this would be one. If she were mine I would do what you are thinking.

Prep is the clue. I would scuff the area and clean it out as well as possible.... then some more cleaning, and more.....before applying.

I also prefer polysulfide caulking as it stays pliable throughout it's life.

Good Luck!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sasto is correct.. m8=mate .. (from my old days playing online stuff heh ).

Yup..silicone is what I would use.. tape off where you dont want the caulk..scotch bright the heck out of the surfaces..clean with windex or such..caulk..run your finger along the lines to remove extra caulk...pull tape.. ( I know this sounds kinda weird..but .. ) Slober your finger with spit and finish your lines down..

When you do it..you will understand what Im saying ;) ..

YD.