Manufacturers HP ratings

mitchp

Seaman
Im totally stoked, took delivery of my new to me 1975 MFG Carefree 14 runabout. ;) After doing a bit of researth i have found a discremincy in the manufactuers horsepower ratings for this 14 foot runabout. I thought this boat was a 1973 Carefree 14 foot which can handle an OB up to 40HP. The boat turned out to be a 1975 Carefree 14. Once again i went to the site with the manufactures HP recomandations, now it says this boat is only good for a 25 HP motor. Why? The seller sold me the boat with a Evenrude 35 HP, which he said worked just fine. The OB looks quite big on the back of this vessel. Its a 2 cycle engine which may be lighter than it looks. Keep her headed into the wind. Mitch :confused:

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Manufacturers HP ratings

Maybe between 73 and 75 they figured out that 40 was too much, a lawsuit, a different hull, it could be alot of things the point is though that it is rated for 25.

You will want to check out that transom really well, not to many 36 year old glass boats with the original transom in them, it should hold your weight standing on the engine, under way the engine puts alot more stress on it than your weight provided you aren't 350+, the transom shouldn't move at all or less than 1/8'', if it is more tha that you may be headed for trouble.

Just check it out really well, being over powered you will want it to be in top shape.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the 25HP rating is for a boat rigged for tiller steer and the 40HP for remote. That dual rating was common in the 70s.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Dual ratings are common yet today -- especially on 14 - 15 footers and even some 16s. A 2011 Alumacraft Classic 165 is available as both a console and tiller version. The Console has a 75 HP rating and the Tiller version is rated at 50 HP. The hull is identical on these boats. It is all about the "twitchyness" of a tiller steered boat.