Repower Vs. New Boat ?? Experiences ?

jc77240

Cadet
Ok, so here is the story: We have a 1999 Hurricane 201. WE love the design / features / capacity, etc. However, it came with a fairly unreliable Merc Optimax 135. WE have decided that it has to go, so we have 2 options: New Boat or repower with a 200 4 stroke. We plan on keeping the boat another 5 - 10 yrs. Has anybody repowered their hurricanes? Experiences? Has anybody run a financial comparison? 18K for new engine out the door, 44K for the new boat. or 357/mo for 5 yrs vs. 750/mo for 5 yrs. We looked at the boats at the Houston boat show and saw that our hull meets our needs and that the new boat would really have MINOR changes.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Repower Vs. New Boat ?? Experiences ?

Since you love the boat and will keep it a while I'd re-power it (if rebuilding your 135 isn't an option or cost effective). Whether you buy a new boat or keep the current one you'll pay for the motor one way or the other. If the boat is in good shape and will last... why buy new... plus you can always take the motor later. Option may be a used motor or rebuild yours...

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with ShadowB. Hurricane has not changed the hull design in a very long time, and made only minor changes to their boats otherwise. With the repower, you are basically getting a new boat for 1/2 the cost.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

WE have decided that it has to go, so we have 2 options: New Boat or repower with a 200 4 stroke. We plan on keeping the boat another 5 - 10 yrs. Has anybody repowered their hurricanes? Experiences?

Repower..... I run a SS188 (pretty similar hull, weight, etc) with a 200HP.....

If that hull is in good shape, save the $$$.....Its a big cash outlay but still cheaper than the entire boat package.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Bear? What is this I see in your sig..... A Cobalt? Where is the Hurricane? :O